Thursday, May 25, 2017

THE BREAKDOWN

Author:  B. A. Paris
Genre:  Psychological Thriller, Standalone
Published:  2017
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format: eBook
Yearly Count:  22


From NetGalley:
If you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?

Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside—the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she’d stopped.

But since then, she’s been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn’t have a baby.

The only thing she can’t forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt.

Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her . . .

 This was a quick read, mainly because it kept me intrigued, so I wanted to keep reading -- even though I figured out a lot of it from the get-go.  No worries, though.  I really enjoyed it.  Yay for Paris, another "very good" from me!

Thoughts of Joy

My thanks go to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for providing me with the eGalley.

8 comments:

  1. I liked this one a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ Hooray for good books! :)

      Delete
  2. See, this means that I definitely need to read these. You're a 'tough' audience. LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay ~ I don't read -- just to read words. That's a waste of time. When I finish a book, I have to honestly be able to say, "That was _________." in order to rate it. Maybe my Rating Scale is skewed, but that's how I roll. :)

      Delete
    2. So, you know I was teasing you, right? Ha! We are in agreement about many of your 'best' reads. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Of course! No worries. I do think my rating scale is off by .5 in relationship to others, though. However, I'm still good with it.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed Behind Closed Doors, so I'm anxious to see how I'll like this one. I listened to BCD, but have the ARC for this new one. Fingers crossed. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ Yeah, I think I'm a fan of Paris's writing style. I'm looking forward to more. :) Hope you like this one, too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!