Sunday, April 29, 2018

THE SUBSTITUTE

Author:  Nicole Lundrigan
Genre:  Psychological Thriller, Standalone
Published:  2017
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format:  eBook
Yearly Count:  13


From NetGalley:
Warren Botts is a disillusioned Ph.D., taking a break from his lab to teach middle-school science. Gentle, soft-spoken, and lonely, he innocently befriends Amanda, one of his students. But one morning, Amanda is found dead in his backyard, and Warren, shocked, flees the scene.

As the small community slowly turns against him, an anonymous narrator, a person of extreme intelligence and emotional detachment, offers insight into events past and present. As the tension builds, we gain an intimate understanding of the power of secrets, illusions, and memories.

I usually only read for pleasure before going to sleep at night.  That actually doesn't provide much reading time - lights are off and lids are closing.  And, brain is shutting down.  Those little snippets at the end of a day didn't provide enough continuity for my sleepy brain, so I want to go back (during the daylight hours) and reread some, but I really did enjoy this book.  It was a bit slow going, but I was invested and wanted to know the outcome.  Also, there were some very graphic, gruesome scenes.  Be aware.

Thoughts of Joy

My thanks go to House of Anansi and NetGalley for providing me with the eGalley.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like one I'd probably like. Nice to see you, by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay ~ It's a slow build, but interesting.

      Thank you for commenting! I do want to catch up with a handful of blogs, but I seriously can't remember the last time I read any. I am up to my eyeballs in yarn and having so much fun! :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this sounds like one I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!