Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Spring Reading Thing Challenge

MOLOKA'I
Alan Brennert
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 45



Moloka'i is a historical fiction account of the tragedy of isolation that befalls those with Hansen's Disease (aka leprosy) in the Hawaiian Islands. The historical and cultural aspects were interesting, and I learned a lot about the colony, yet often times, I found the writing not conducive to the time period. Whether it was dialog, attitude, actions, or something entirely different, I'm not sure, but on several occasions I questioned the era. Also, I simply wasn't ever drawn to any of the characters, so I didn't care much. Ultimately, I don't think the fictional story worked for me and maybe I would have been more satisfied with a non-fiction format.

5 comments:

  1. You know - I put off reading this one because I wanted to read Colony by John Tayman for the NF5 challenge first. Sounds like I made a good move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bookgroup was going to read this for August, but you just talked me out of it. Thanks for the heads up.

    BTW--I read the first two chapters and didn't have a good feeling about it anyway. You confirmed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi ~ I really think your book would have been a better choice for me. I knew from the beginning, but stuck it out. It certainly wasn't a waste of time, but I could have used it better.

    Lisa Jean ~ I'm glad to know that you read the first two chapters before making your decision because I would hate for you to not read it because of me. I'm a self-professed tough rater, so my ratings may not be good indicators for everybody. Also, this book has received very high ratings on B&N, Amazon and blog reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy- Sorry you didn't enjoy this one so much. It was one of my favorites for the year but I always do march to my own drummer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy ~ Actually you are in the majority with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!