Monday, January 28, 2008

CORALINE

Neil Gaiman
Genre: YA Fantasy
Published: 2002
Personal Rating: 3/5
Yearly Count: 15



I have to begin this with . . . if you like fantasy, you will be delighted with this book - whether you are young(ish) or old(ish). Unfortunately, Gaiman's fantasy writing is not for me. This is my second attempt at Gaiman's work and I simply just don't like it. I am a realist, no matter how hard I try to branch out.

The reason I rated it as "just okay" (which is actually a very good rating for a genre I do not like) is due to the fact that I wanted to find out what happened. There was never a moment when I considered giving up on it; although, I knew there were only 3 CDs and I could manage to listen for that long. Even knowing that, Gaiman did keep my attention. Also, if I did enjoy fantasy, I would have loved all the descriptive images and wacky happenings of Coraline's world, but I don't - so there ya go.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Gaiman - have read a few of his books also and mostly just do not get him. The only one I enjoyed was Stardust - I read it a few years ago. Recently saw the movie and enjoyed that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 PM

    I just ordered this for my daughter - she loves fantasy, so I think it will be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally ~ Thanks for the info on Stardust. I have no plans to read anymore of his, but if I am forced, I'll remember that one. :)

    Carrie K. ~ Absolutely! She'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one I've wanted to read (along with Stardust), but just haven't gotten around to it. Wonder if I'll have the same reaction as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so creepy! Maybe I'm just getting old and easily scared.
    My favorite Gaiman has been Neverwhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les ~ If you like fantasy, you'll probably enjoy it. If not, you'll probably be in the same camp as me. :)

    Oh! I just remembered (don't know if I remembered correctly though) that you liked The Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Being that you liked that, you'd like this. I liked this more than Hill's book.

    Also, remember that this is Children/YA fantasy.

    Raidergirl3 ~ LOL See...that's the thing. Unrealistic stories don't scare me, they seem plain ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've grown quite fond of fantasy in the past year, so I really did enjoy this little book. I love your review though, Joy...I think it's amazing the way you can be so objective about something you didn't like all that much. Your honesty--one of the many reasons I love stopping by here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debi ~ Thanks! :) I honestly *grin* wish I liked sci-fi/fantasy, but it's just like not liking a certain type of food...I'm just not wired that way. :)

    Actually, I do like it a little depending on how it's presented because I LOVE Odd Thomas and his life is wacky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problems with fantasy. I like *some* fantasy movies (incidentally I loved Stardust), but I can't read it. Oh well! I have heard really good things about this book otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trish ~ I like a little, but in general . . . fantasy doesn't work for me. I am going to listen to Elsewhere (Zevin) sometime this year. I actually like the concept, so I'm looking forward to it. We'll see. Have you read it? It's a YA novel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!