Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A NORTHERN LIGHT

Jennifer Donnelly
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Published: 2003
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 24



This historical fiction novel (1906) is Mattie Gokey's coming-of-age story. Due to the tremendous amount of responsibility to her family and their farm, the prospect of going to college seems very remote even though she's a gifted writer. The other major component of Mattie's story is that while working during the summer at a hotel, Mattie inadvertently becomes aware of reasons behind a drowning at the nearby lake. She struggles with what to do with the information and how to proceed with her life.

The character development was solid. Jennifer Donnelly provided just the right mix of words to bring the characters to life. I enjoyed the storyline as well - it was good. The one thing that really surprised me, though, was the foul language. There was way too much for a YA book. I didn't think it was necessary.

14 comments:

  1. I was a little surprised at the language in The Book Thief. And I can remember when I was in 5th or 6th grade reading a book (that I loved) and laughing with my friends at all of the curse words. Ha ha! I've read a lot of debate lately about sex in YA fiction as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish ~ It's a touchy subject for sure! (pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting! i would think there'd be LESS in a historical fiction novel, but maybe that's my sanitized idea of history.

    the language in violet on the runway isn't totally clean, but the scholastic book fair version is g-rated at least! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to read that you enjoyed the book, other than the language. I finished The Winter Rose earlier this month and was thinking of checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa ~ Yeah, on occasion I wondered whether I was still in 1906! However, in defense of the book, I may have noticed it more because I listened to it. I can read certain words and it doesn't penetrate my brain, but hearing it tends to offend me more.

    Despite books being due to the library and other books that have been waiting patiently, I have moved Violet to "next up" status. Crud, what's that baseball term? lol

    Kris ~ I only read The Tea Rose and can't seem to build enough confidence to dive into The Winter Rose, so I settled on this for a Donnelly book. I think I expected more (which isn't fair to Jennifer), but it is what it is. The story is good and if you read it, I'm thinking the language won't even be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa ~ I think the term I was looking for is "on deck". Violet is on deck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am flattered--that's a bump-up I never would experience on a real sports team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly enjoyed this book and paid no attention to the bad language, but that is probaly why the book is for YA and not J readers.

    I totally agree, when you hear it said is way different than reading it. Reading it is a clue to the level of upset(ness) in a character, hearing it on tape is just plain jaring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie ~ I actually wish I liked it more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also just reviewed this book and gave it the exact same rating. I've linked to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently read this one, and I really loved it. I thought the writing and use of words was beautiful. I highly recommended it to my 14yo daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alisonwonderland ~ I'm so glad it was a successful read for you, and I hope your daughter enjoys it too. I thought it was good, but I think I was expecting more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!