Wednesday, July 02, 2008

SOLD

Author: Patricia McCormick
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
Published: 2006
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 89



Lakshmi is a thirteen-year-old girl that lives in Nepal with her mother, stepfather and brother. Their living conditions are meager and food is often scarce, but they survive. One day after Lakshmi's stepfather squanders what money they had, he announces that it is time for Lakshmi to work. He sells her into a world of darkness under the guise of working in the city as a maid.

Whoa. I wasn't fully aware of what was going to happen to Lakshmi and frankly I was surprised. McCormick researched and interviewed women in Nepal making this story very accurate and in turn extremely disturbing. The writing - amazing. She delivered such a deplorable topic through a poetic style that swept me up. This fast-paced book helps build awareness through the life of Lakshmi that is truly palpable. McCormick is going on my "must read another soon" list.

9 comments:

  1. Wow Joy, this sounds really good! I'm putting it on my list--glad you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I overheard my manager recommending this to a customer a few months back - I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one last year, I think. Heartwrenching, and yet a beautiful ending. So well-written. It's the kind of book that stays with you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this one's going on my "must read soon" list! Thanks Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish ~ I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't expect the depth of this book.

    Charley ~ Really!?! Hope you like it. :)

    Stephanie ~ It's still with me.

    Debi ~ I'll be watching for your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one at the beginning of the year and LOVED IT! I got my neighborhood book club to read it last month. Wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maw Books ~ I was genuinely surprised with the depth of this book and the author's craft. I agree, it was wonderful.

    I'm so glad you commented here because I'm slowly coming up with a list of books/authors that I want to read next year. I didn't add this author on yet. Thanks for the reminder! Have you read any other McCormick books?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, right after I read Sold, I read all of her books. I've read Cut and My Brother's Keeper. Sold is definitely the strongest of the three, followed by Cut. Here's a link to all of my reviews. She's an author I just discovered this year and glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maw Books ~ I can see why you read all her books right away. Her style is very enticing. I had Cut on a list somewhere, sometime, but never got to it. I now have her on my 2009 reading list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!