Sunday, September 28, 2008

THEIR ANCIENT, GLITTERING EYES

Author:  Ron Rash
Genre:  Short Stories
Published:  Chemistry and Other Stories, 2007
Personal Rating:  4/5
(ss) Yearly Count:  28



A few old men set out to prove that there really is a 6 foot fish in the pool beneath the bridge.

What an absolute pleasure it was to return to something written by Ron Rash.  I have only read one of his books (One Foot in Eden) and really had hoped to read another by now, but it just hasn't happened.  After reading that he has a new book titled Serena coming out in October, my desire to pick up something - anything by Rash was reignited.  I figured a few short stories here and there would be a good choice.  I was right!  

Rash has an incredible way with words.  This particular story was 22 pages long - meaning that's not a lot of time to get a plot and characters developed, let alone a fine conclusion.  BUT, he does it!  I literally felt like I was standing right alongside these men - watching everything, hearing everything and feeling the emotions of each character.  Remarkable.  I can't wait to read the next one.

4 comments:

  1. Joy, I'm so glad you enjoyed this story so much. I really love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this author but I'll definitely have to keep my eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I like the title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar ~ I've been wanting to read something by him for a long time - I was not disappointed.

    Trish ~ He's a southern writer. Give him a try!

    Ladytink_534 ~ It fits the story perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!