Friday, September 24, 2010

CUTTING FOR STONE

Author: Abraham Verghese
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 3.25/5 (better than just okay)
Yearly Count:  86



Marion, Shiva's twin brother, narrates his life from before his birth in Ethiopia until he is middle aged in America.  The boys are inseparable as children, but one hurts the other very deeply causing them to become distant.  Family drama prevails as the boys grow into mature adults.

This epic novel took me on an atypical journey.  Since it was published, I wanted to read it and envisioned it captivating me.  However, I was leery of its length, so I opted for the audiobook version to ease the anxiety (just a little, but anxiety none-the-less).  It was definitely a wise move on my part; I would have never continued otherwise.

It started out on a decent note, then it became intriguing, and I was delighted.  Unfortunately, it wasn't too much later when it started going downhill, and I became bored - almost to tears.  I almost gave up at that point, but chose to stick it out thinking there had to be more - of something.  It took a very long time before I developed some real interest in the story.  From there on out, it followed a fairly consistent pattern of peaks and valleys, where the peaks were low and the valleys vast.

The characters never truly seized my head or heart (tweaked it at the end, though), but as each CD passed - I became more and more interested in the story as a whole.  However, it always felt distant (I assume that was because I felt no real connection).  The story line contained an abundance of medical terms and literal surgical procedures, which for the most part were interesting.  Even though the last couple discs were good, I can't say that the whole experience was good.  So ultimately, it turned out to be a decent journey.

And, a special THANKS to those that voted to help me decide which book to read from my list.

      

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:47 PM

    Well, Joy, I'm sorry this one didn't bowl you over. I read it in regular book form and it really gripped me. Not sure how I would have done in audio format. Just goes to show, not every book works for every reader. Glad you read it anyway and I'm glad the medical stuff didn't turn you away. It did some of my book group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your review, Joy. Yours is similar to another I read in the past week. I haven't read CFS - mostly because it just hasn't appealed to me. I've felt kind of bad about that because it has received so much buzz among book bloggers. Maybe I'll get to it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend listened to this one too and hated it!! I'm going to pass on reading it! Great and insightful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....too bad. I loved the audio book, and it was actually my favorite book of 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay ~ No, the medical information didn't turn me away, but I thought some of the surgery choices were peculiar.

    Mary ~ Well, it's very time consuming, so I would definitely wait until you have a great desire to read it. :)

    Staci ~ It would have been a DNF had I attempted to read it. The audiobook just kept plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bibliophile By the Sea ~ This type of family saga isn't a favorite genre of mine, so I'm not shocked at my reaction. I had high hopes and am disappointed that I didn't like it more. I thought the narrator of the audiobook was fantastic, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of good friends have read this and said it was very, very good. Kay enjoyed the printed format. You disliked the audio. I think if I ever get around to reading it, I'll try the printed version. :)

    BTW, I'm really enjoying Room!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les ~ It wasn't that I didn't like the audio version. I thought that was great. I liked the narrator and just the fact that someone was reading it to me kept the story moving along. Had I read it - it certainly would have been a DNF. Too many slow spots for me.

    I would not take my word on this book at all. I'm neither a chunkster reader nor a family saga reader, so the book was way out of my comfort zone. Now, I do have to add that there have been times when I have thoroughly enjoyed a book like this, but they have been far and few between.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't usually like this typr of book, but I did enjoy CFS. Sorry, it didn't appeal to you. I'm not sure if I would have liked the audio version as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Framed ~ Thankfully I have not been turned off from chunkster audiobooks, because I have many more that I want to get to. I'm definitely hoping for better outcomes though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone LOVES this book! I've been interested in it, but truthfully the length is enough to put me off. Maybe especially with the audio (I've learned I do better with the shorter audios). Sorry this one was just OK for you--sounds like it had a good start, just not a lot of follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trish ~ Well, unfortunately for me - not "everyone" loves this book. :( Don't get me wrong though, there were parts that I really did enjoy; however, it's just too long to have sporadic enjoyment. I'm very bummed that I bought the hardcover, but it does look pretty on my shelves. :)

    What? You'd rather read a chunkster vs listen to it? I understand the value of getting immersed and invested between those pages, but what if they consist of drab and dull words!?! Wouldn't you stop reading? End that boring experience and call it a DNF? With listening to a chunkster, the narrator plods through those low times and keeps me going. Also, I tend to have more listening than reading time, so that helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly--just not reading much of anything these days. :) But yes I generally prefer shorter books. Right now I'm reading Brothers Karamazov with a few other bloggers (776 pages) and have been working on it for months. I also read Les Miserables this year at 1200 pages!

    I have a short attention span and I find that the longer the book, the harder it is for me to listen to without losing interest. I also do better with non-fiction or YA it seems. I did listen to South of Broad by Pat Conroy and it was a good 14 hours long, but I never really felt like was fully immersed in what was going on. I know, strange. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trish ~ Nope, not strange at all. I love that everybody is not the same. At the very least, our conversations would be dull, if we were. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!