Thursday, April 20, 2017

HILLBILLY ELEGY

Author:  J. D. Vance
Gerne:  Memoir, Standalone
Published:  2016
Personal Rating:  3.75/5 (good +)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/J. D. Vance
Yearly Count:  18


This is an account of a self-professed Hillbilly who makes it against many odds.

Since I have read numerous books regarding poverty (and see it in my profession), this book didn't hold any revelations for me, but it was interesting.  Vance did a great job reading his own work, and I appreciated his efforts in showing that getting out from underneath can be accomplished.

Thoughts of Joy

7 comments:

  1. I liked this more than you did. It helped me understand some people in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ Books of this nature can be very helpful.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joy!
    I enjoyed listening to this recently as well. I don't think we have quite the same level of hillbilly culture in Canada. Although it really just represents a level of poverty, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raidergirl3 ~ Yep. I work in an area of poverty, and it still amazes (shocks) me.

      Delete
    2. Raidergirl3 ~ BB starts soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Just started this one today so went to Goodreads to see what I could find...fancy finding your recently written review! I just finished listening to Evicted, so this is an interesting counterpoint so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish ~ Hi! How's this one going for you? I haven't read Evicted, but will be looking into it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!