Thursday, April 04, 2019

THE HAPPINESS PROJECT

Author:  Gretchen Rubin
Genre:  Non-Fiction, The Happiness Project #1
Published:  2009
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/Gretchen Rubin
Yearly Count:  13


From Goodreads:
Gretchen Rubin had an epiphany one rainy afternoon in the unlikeliest of places: a city bus. “The days are long, but the years are short,” she realized. “Time is passing, and I’m not focusing enough on the things that really matter.” In that moment, she decided to dedicate a year to her happiness project.

In this lively and compelling account, Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. Among other things, she found that novelty and challenge are powerful sources of happiness; that money can help buy happiness, when spent wisely; that outer order contributes to inner calm; and that the very smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.


I just happened to see this on the shelf at my library and, on a whim, decided to bring it home.  I can't believe it's been 10 years since it was published!  The speed of time is scary!

My biggest complaint is that she states throughout the book that she needed to just "Be Gretchen."  However, the entire book is about CHANGING Gretchen.  Whether it be about choice and/or for the good, it's still based on changing Gretchen and that bothered me throughout.  The book on a whole is incredibly overwhelming!!!  Every itty-bitty, minute component/detail of one's existence is in one way or another probed and prodded.  It is examined to the point of exhaustion.  The research behind her ideas were interesting, although I don't recall anything being new or revolutionary.  I enjoyed her as her own narrator.

Anyone know . . .  Is she happier today?

Thoughts of Joy

1 comment:

  1. I don't know. She visited our library recently for her latest book, but I wasn't able to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!