Wednesday, October 04, 2006

"K" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

OUT
Natsuo Kirino
Personal Rating: 3.5/5





As I was searching for a "K" author, I came across Kirino and was impressed with the high ratings OUT received. Upon further investigation, I noticed that Kirino was the winner of Japan’s Top Mystery Award. That was enough to pull me in.

Ultimately, the people, setting, daily life, and mentality of Japan's "grimy world" were what kept me reading. No...I'm not a closet underworld wanna-be; what drew my interest was the psychological aspects of the characters that happened to reside in the underworld. I couldn't help that! :)

Most of my remaining thoughts regarding this book are conflicting. The plot did have a quality of intrigue, yet the delivery was a bit too gruesome for my liking. I wasn't interested in the details of the plot, yet I still wanted to know how the story was going to conclude. Is that a sign of a good writer? Keeping me intrigued, even when I don't like the events? I'm not quite so sure. Like I already mentioned ... conflicting thoughts.

Being consistent with confliction, my rating differs from the general public, but as the saying goes..."to each its own".

5 comments:

  1. My online reading group read this book last year. I enjoyed it very much, despite the gruesome subject matter. I still haven't written a review, but will get around to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll do a pass on this one since you are less than enthusiastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like one I don't have to add to The List - thanks for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimbofo ~ You haven't written up a review??? Hurry, hurry...I look forward to reading it!

    Booklogged and SuziQ ~ Those are only MY thoughts. I believe the ratings fall around 4.5 and Kimbo liked it! :) Actually I did too, but...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Joy!

    I almost picked this up at a summer book fair a couple of months ago - I put it back only because I already had so many books in my bag, but seeing how you described the dialogue as "gruesome", I am glad I didn't add it to my already heavy bag.

    Your post reminds me that I really do want to read more Japanese literature, but perhaps I'll start with something not so contemporary.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!