Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"B" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS
Augusten Burroughs ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 4/5





So where was the "Memoir Police" when this book was published? RUNNING WITH SCISSORS was filled with preposterous and outlandish events that frankly, I find hard to believe. Despite my lack of belief, I found it to be an interesting listen, yet was filled with disdain for all the adults in Augusten's life.

I found his environment, where there were no rules and extreme behaviors, to be sad and debilitating for this young boy. Augusten was caught in a tornado of torment and trickery that imprisoned him without the possibility of escape. He experienced many kinds of abuse, but thankfully, he survived by escaping the continual dysfuction and found success in his life (if he defines publishing a book as success). I leave you with a quote from Augusten:

"I earned a PhD in survival."

I truly wonder if that's how he would define success. Is it publishing his memoir? Is it escaping the dysfunction in which he lived? Is it just waking up every morning? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Joy, my jaw touched the floor several times while reading this memoir - I COULD NOT believe some of the things that happened to him, and, like you say, where was the "memoir police" when this book came out? Also, this book has now been made into a movie. Honestly, I didn't find it (the book) very credible, but all the same I couldn't stop reading it- I must have read it in just a couple of sittings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did make me wonder how much is true. I also felt sickened by the adults in this book. But, didn't parts of it just make you crack up? I loved the furniture in the lawn for the yard sale. I loved the hole in the ceiling that they made and left. Augusten has got the corner on dysfunctional, but I did laugh at some of the untight-assed way they lived. Even though it was twisted.

    I've tried to listen to Dry, by hime, but it was just too upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one book I couldn't finish. I just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe I gave up too quickly. The movie doesn't look appealing either, probably because I didn't care for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lotus ~ I may rent the movie when it comes out on DVD.

    Bellezza ~ Honestly, I never laughed and wondered why it was considered a humorous book. Maybe I was in shock or disbelief. ???

    Framed ~ Maybe it just wasn't for you. That's okay, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:55 PM

    this book was ridiculous. I was floored at how unrealistic some of it was and I don't think I'm going to see the movie.Burroughs should get at least the amount of attention the author of A Million Little Pieces did for it's fabrication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disappointed ~ I'm still curious about him, so I'm thinking I may read his next book, Dry. I read both Frey books and thought they were excellent. Whether I believe them (both authors) or not is another matter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!