Sunday, November 05, 2006

"P" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

READING LIKE A WRITER
Francine Prose
Personal Rating: 3/5






Anything goes. That's what I gleaned from this book. I chose to read this as a reference book for me as a teacher, not as a writer. Therein lays the reason for my rating. Even though I understand and agree with all that Prose discussed, from the get-go, I just wasn't on the same page. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind or thought it would be different, I'm not exactly sure, but my rating remains my rating.

I do believe that this book could be a useful tool for those that need to look at their personal writing from a new perspective. Reading though purposefully chosen excerpts to show different styles in word choice, sentence structure, paragraphing, narration, character development, dialogue, details, and gestures could definitely be a help to those in need. Her selections were well-chosen and depict exactly what she was trying to convey.

Prose also touches on the mentality of writers and how many feel trapped or compelled to follow the "rules" of writing, when those "rules" are consistently and effectively broken throughout literature. Here's how Prose relays that very same message:

"...literature not only breaks the rules, but makes us realize that there are none."

Ultimately, Prose believes (which I agree and teach) that the light that guides the path of writing and is the core encourager is ... reading.

5 comments:

  1. Joy, I didn't know you were a teacher. What age/subject do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I am! However, a laid off one at the moment. I'm using this time to do an internship with a principal and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:35 PM

    Interesting author's name, especially considering the subject matter. I'm putting this one on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin ~ I hope you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, huh. I had this one on my wish list but I'm not so sure it's right for me. I already break rules when I feel like it and I'm perfectly happy with my own "voice". Thanks for the review. It's nice to see a writer's book viewed from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!