Sunday, November 12, 2006

"S" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

THE THIRTEENTH TALE
Diane Setterfield
Personal Rating: 3.75/5





Finally I get to share my thoughts on this very popular book. Fortunately, my expectations weren't too high, although I did anticipate a good read and wasn't disappointed on that account. From the start to the finish, I virtually experienced the same feeling. It was good, but I wouldn't qualify it as "very good", hence a rating just below.

The best part for me was the style of writing. I really enjoyed the storytelling stage and the general concept of the storyline; however, I wasn't impressed with the oddity of the story itself. I never had any trouble putting it down and didn't need to pick it up either. That was something I didn't expect. Considering the writing style alone, which was captivating, I would definitely read another by Setterfield.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, Joy, I will probably read her next book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave it a 5 and as someone who has used a 1-10 scale in my journal for almost 10 years, this has been problematic. I have really forced myself to go out on a limb and decide between a 4 and a 5. And now I see you give it a 3.75!!!! Don't tempt me! I'm trying to keep it pure. I guess if a gun was to my head, I would have said 4.5 rather than 5 on this book, but I'll stand by my 5!

    I'll assume .25 is your limit on ratings and that we won't be seeing a 3.247589 in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed how this book was unusual. I never could predict exactly where it was going, unlike so many recent books which seem to piggy back on one another. Or mostly, piggy back on Harry Potter and dragons of some sort. Like you, I thought it was fine, but not great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely not one of my favorites for the year, but a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Booklogged ~ Do you know if there is one in progress?

    Di ~ LOL...don't tempt ME! :)

    Bellezza & Angela ~ Glad I have company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that's exactly how I felt and we gave the book the same rating! I had a terrible time deciding how to rate it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!