Wednesday, December 27, 2006

"I" Author-Based A ~ Z Reads

NEVER LET ME GO
Kazuo Ishiguro ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 4/5





Overall, this book seems to have drawn either high reviews or low reviews. I fall in the high end. The plot doesn't settle too well on one's being or premise for living, but that's what made it a captivating "coming of age" story. As I listened to it, I found the details of conversation and descriptions to be well-developed and held the story together. Even though there was so much given, I wished for more.

On the surface, the characters seemed a little less than engaging, but I really liked them and was always eager to hear more. Ishiguro's ability to snare my interest was sly, especially due to the book's slow nature.

Several times while listening I was reminded of THE GIVER by Lois Lowry. It had a similar flavor that resonated throughout. They both can be classified as peculiar, but interesting and thought provoking for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Joy. I hope you enjoyed a delightful Christmas. I have a question. What does the BO stand for in BOiPod? My husband gave me an iPod for Christmas and I would like to use it to put some books on it. I've put a few from the library on, but would like to know if there is another source. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged ~ First of all, "BO" stands for Book On, so it's Book On (my) iPod. Just like...BOT (Book on Tape) or BOCD (Book on CD).

    I upload all the books for my iPod from library CDs into iTunes, then download them onto my iPod. The library system we have has MP3 versions, but iPod is not compatible. The CD plan works great...no complaints here. :)

    Here's a site that may be helpful to you: http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/importing-audio-cds/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I loved The Giver, so I'll have to check this one out, especially since you gave it a fairly high rating. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les ~ I hope you like it. :)


    ORIGINALLY POSTED ON "YELLOW":
    Bellezza said...
    Could I be right in thinking that
    Kazuo Ishiguro wrote something about Mount Fiji? I have a vague recollection of winning such a book from our library's summer reading program. Now I'll have to go see as you spiked my curiosity.

    By the way, I'm getting ready to start Snowflower and The Secret Fan, which has been getting great reviews. I love books about Japan, and China!

    Bellezza ~ I don't know any other work written by Ishiguro, so I can't help you with the Mt. Fiji question. Sorry.

    I read SNOWFLOWER this past June right before I started the blog. I rated it a 4/5. It was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, thanks for helping me out. I'm going to check out that site right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!