Monday, January 15, 2007

EAT, PRAY, LOVE
Elizabeth Gilbert ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 5





This is the recollection of Elizabeth Gilbert's healing, spiritual journey. She traveled to Italy, India, and Indonesia in search of self and the meaning of life, ultimately seeking peace and tranquility. I admire her independence and determination to pursue this right and privilege as a human being.

While there are numerous bits of wisdom or sheer observations that can be taken from this book, here are just two nuggets that happened to stick with me:

"This is what rituals (ceremonies or celebrations) are for...to create a safe resting place for our most complicated feelings of joy or trauma so we don't have to haul these feelings around with us forever weighing us down."

"Make peace with what you were given."

Both of these quotes are not necessarily profound, yet in their own way have made an impact on me. I do think they are a good representation that being in a reflective mood when reading this book will contribute to it being a pleasant and thought-provoking experience.

A few times throughout the book, I wanted her to stop being so self-absorbed, but when that happened I would say to myself, "Hey, it's HER memoir. I think that's allowed." :)

11 comments:

  1. This one is on my TBR list. I hope to get to it in my lifetime. *chuckle, chuckle*

    BTW, I left a comment about Animal Farm the other day, but it must have gotten eaten by the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I know how it goes with Memoirs sometimes. lol But most of the time, I can take it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Joy!

    I remember reading this book and enjoying it! WOuldn't it be nice if we all had the resrouces to travel extensively everytime we had a disaster in our personal lives? :) Travel really is the cure-all for everything, atleast for me, but darn it, wish it wasn't so expensive!

    Nice review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed it and still have it in my itunes library for possible re-listening someday. I found myself alternating between wanting to smack her for being so self centered and continually rewinding the thing to hear again all those wonderful little gems of comments she made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is high on my TBR list. Great review. I may have to stop off at the library and snag a copy. Or maybe it's one I need to own (so I can highlight favorite passages).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Booklogged ~ Hee Hee! I have had that same "post-monster" eat some of mine. Very peculiar!

    Lover of Books ~ In the long run, it wasn't a problem.

    Lotus ~ Really...how many people do you know that can take a year off to travel? Me? None!

    Suzi ~ I'm not a rereader/relistener, but I can see how this one would be conducive to that.

    Les ~ Highlighting would be a good option for this one. I think you will enjoy it Les. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Thanks for the review! This is on my TBR list (lost in the multitudes) but I hadn't heard any reviews aboout it yet. Some day, somewhere, I will get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:28 PM

    I've never heard of the book (shocking I'm sure, only to me) but it sounds intriguing. That quote about rituals and ceremonies is oh so true, I realize more and more the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alisia ~ I had only heard good things about it prior to listening to it. Most people rate it higher than I did.

    Carrie ~ Glad I could share a new one with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:29 PM

    It's going to be a movie... how weird. This book resonated with me a long time.

    If you like her writing style, check out "The Last American Man." It's a biography of a modern Davy Crockett. Excellent writing. It's one of my favorite nonfiction books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still, I found it too self-absorbed. You are much more patient than I!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!