Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Personal Genre Challenge

THE GOOSE GIRL
Shannon Hale ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 15




The fairy tale genre is most definitely not a first pick for me. Even as a young child, I stayed clear of them. I simply...don't like them. The Goose Girl evidently is an exception. I thought this was very well done.

The Goose Girl was originally written by the Grimm Brothers as a short fairy tale. The author, Shannon Hale, loved it as a child and wanted to turn it into a full novel that readers could not put down. If I am any kind of judge, I think she succeeded. Can you imagine readers that like fairy tales!?!

The truth is, though, I hated the full-cast audio. It was obnoxious and corny. I could not stand the ridiculous music and extremely foolish personification. This happens to be another example of a book that I would have rather read. I struggled through two discs before I was finally able to separate the story from the theatrics.

While the novel starts out a little slow, it is filled with love, betrayal, magic, vengeance, wickedness, loyalty, friendship, and many more elements to make this a delightful adventure. (I can't believe I just wrote that.)


*Recommended By:
A Reader's Journal

9 comments:

  1. Joy, glad you liked the book. I think I'm going to have to get the audio version from the library, just to hear how bad it is. Of course, I won't listen very long. It's too bad when the audio is poorly done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged ~ I really did, but don't take my word for it on the audio. It may be the best thing ever in your opinion. I do not like personification and music to dramatize a book. It's a book, not a movie. So when they try to dramatize it, I am annoyed. Totally just a "me" thing. :) I'm very glad I read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:28 AM

    Hmmm, you are the second book blog who said she like the book (although I can't remember who the other person was)!
    Stephanie
    www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Joy, we'll have you reformed in no time. Fairy tales? What's next? Sci-fi, or maybe even, (dare I say it?) flat out horror (--eek)! :) I've never heard of this book, but I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second blog in a row that recommends. must go and pick it up it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much depends on a good narrator. You might also like Princess Academy also by Shannon Hale, but not (as far as I know) a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie & Nessie ~ You might like it, too. You should give it a try. :)

    Kookie ~ LOL I think "Dexter" is horror enough. :)

    Bookwink ~ I'm surprised I continued on, but I was genuinely interested in the story. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read Princess Bubble?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth J. ~ No, I have not read Princess Bubble.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!