Wednesday, February 14, 2007

TBR Challenge

SISTER OF MY HEART
Chitra Divakaruni
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 11



This story of sisters captivated my attention while I was reading it; however, I didn't have any great desire to pick it up again, once I set it down. What I did enjoy most was learning about the culture of India: their beliefs, foods, clothing, traditions, etc. That part was all very interesting. The actually storyline itself contained a few surprises, but nothing that I found to be terribly gripping. Ultimately...it was good, but not very good.


*This book was "Buddy Read" with Amy from
The Sleepy Reader.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but it is on my TBR list. I like learning about other cultures, too, and India is especially fascinating. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could almost say the same thing about a book that I just finished, The Mango Season by Amulya Malladi. Fun to read, but I probably wouldn't ever read it again (and, one of the great delights of the book was reading about the food!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kookie ~ It's my understanding that THE NAMESAKE is really good.

    Nyssaneala ~ Some of the clothing and foods were beyond me. If it wasn't described in detail, I didn't have any idea what it looked like or what it was. I think that could have been done better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this tonight and posted my review. Oddly enough I gave it the same rating as you but for different reasons, I think.

    I have enjoyed doing this buddy read though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy ~ I think we are on the same page. I based my rating on what I liked...the culture aspect, not the surprises. The "surprises" really weren't much of surprises.

    I'll answer your e-mail later today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this when it first came out, and I do believe I enjoyed her other book, 'Mistresses of Spices' more. It has more than a touch of magic realism, which is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be_Zen8 ~ I don't think I'll be picking up any more by her. It hasn't stayed with me at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!