Sunday, March 25, 2007

NYT Notable Book Challenge & Personal Genre Challenge

THE INHABITED WORLD
David Long
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 22




I had an 'on again/off again' relationship with this book. I first was introduced to it by Kristin at Books for Breakfast (see link below) and was very intrigued, so I put it on my forever long TBR list. Then, I decided I wasn't interested in reading about a ghost and crossed it off. However, when the NYT Notable Book Challenge came along (it being on the list of choices) and my desire to stretch myself in genres, I decided to take the plunge. All in all, it was a bit somber, but I'm glad I read it.

What stands out most to me is the in-depth emotional content and well-developed characters. Long's ability to weave deep connections to these characters was very well done. The concept of Evan (the main character) being a 'ghost' is far from freaky or scary, despite his ability to 'live' on the premise where he lived and died, as he seeks the reason "why?" he was led to suicide. So, we go on the journey with him, going from who lives in the house now back to Evan's childhood and forward again.

Closure to the plot was there, yet I had hoped for a more satisfying ending. I feel a vague sense of being left to dangle. Maybe that's how Evan felt. Hmmm, something to ponder.


*Recommended By:
Books for Breakfast

4 comments:

  1. The following comments are from the NYT Notable Book Challenge Blog:

    kookiejar said...
    I'm glad you liked it, Joy (if only a little bit), and remember the author told me on my blog that Evan was not a 'ghost', but rather, an 'angel' who could not leave his Earthly life behind. When I learned that, it really helped bring the whole book together for me.

    March 25, 2007 6:20 PM


    Joy said...
    Silly Kookie ~ I liked it more than "a little bit"! I gave it a 4/5, that's "Very Good"!

    Evan being an "angel" actually was in the book.

    Question: What does the cover represent?

    March 25, 2007 6:28 PM


    kookiejar said...
    Good question, Joy. Empty chair, empty raincoat, empty picture frame. Makes you think that there maybe had once been someone there, but they stepped out of the room? I don't know.

    March 25, 2007 9:27 PM


    Amy said...
    Those were my thoughts too Kookie. I am glad that you liked the book Joy. I liked it too but as I said in my review I didn't close the books with a satisfied sigh. I felt like I was dangling a bit too but not really...LOL. I know that probably makes NO sense.

    March 25, 2007 9:45 PM


    Joy said...
    Maybe, someone still lives here, but you can't see me; I'm invisible. ?

    The reason why I asked was because THE DOUBLE BIND's cover really doesn't fit the story. If I remember correctly Bohjalian didn't design it, but he liked it.

    So...I was wondering how much input Long had into the cover and what it meant to him.

    March 26, 2007 6:49 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds pretty interesting. From what I read, it looks like I will have to set aside time to read it rather than in spurts, like I usually do.

    Glad you to enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry...meant to write that I'm glad to learn that you enjoyed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia ~ It was worth the read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!