Tuesday, March 20, 2007

TBR Challenge

A GIRL NAMED ZIPPY
Haven Kimmel
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 21



This memoir is about a spunky, very intuitive, little girl named "Zippy" that speaks her heart and soul. Ms. Kimmel (the adult Zippy) shares her experience of growing up in a small town and all the nuances that go along with it.

I found this to be a very pleasant book with several giggle or laugh-out-loud moments, yet didn't find it to be anything spectacular or terribly engaging. Certainly a good choice, if you are in need of a light, enjoyable read.

Here's a sample of a good moment:


"When pressed Dad had a way of emphasizing certain words that was like Winnie-the-Pooh gone bad."

And another:

"I once heard her (Zippy's mom) tell a friend that she was, in fact, a 120-pound woman, but she kept herself wrapped in fat in order to prevent bruising."

9 comments:

  1. I rather liked 'Zippy', but like with all memoirs, I got bored kind of quickly. I wish she hadn't been so compelled to tell us about every single time an animal died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same reaction as you, Joy. A few out loud laughs, but nothing spectacular or even memorable (it's been about 5 years since I read it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Joy - Shelby likes to read memoirs. Do you think this is OK for a 16 year old?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the quotes, especially the wrapped in fat one. Guess I'll skip reading Zippy. After all, I need to allow some time for my mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:24 PM

    I love that "wrapped in fat" quote.

    It looks cute but not compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can identify with the "wrapped in fat" comment. Just think I'll amend my self-description to "wrapped in jello."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kookie ~ That's interesting. The animals dying doesn't stick out to me.

    Les ~ Took me a while to get to it. :)

    Lynne ~ Yes, I think so. I can't remember anything questionable.

    Booklogged ~ This would be a good "in-between" book when reading taxing or long ones.

    Carrie ~ That's exactly right.

    Framed ~ LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this last year, and I can't remember details, but I remember really liking it. My six year old daughter reminded me of Zippy, and I felt like it could have been her telling some of the stories. It helped me see her perspective a bit. There is a sequel book "She Got Up Off the Couch", referring, I assume, to her mother, reading on the couch while the father cooked.
    Actually, I think I identified my whole family with this book. (minus the crazy, we aren't that crazy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raidergirl3 ~ I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just expected more from all the hype it received within my reading circles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!