Saturday, April 21, 2007

Spring Reading Thing Challenge

CROW LAKE
Mary Lawson
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 30



The setting of Northern Ontario automatically gives this read a slow-paced feeling, but it's not mundane in the least. Also, you travel back and forth between the past and the present without feeling the jolts. Mary Lawson has a great gift in storytelling.

This story of the Morrison family begins with a tragedy that changes the course of many lives forever. While these lives are being molded, there are connections being built with the reader. Whether it is a fleeting moment with one character and/or a portion of another ... connections are made. The character development was very well done. (I definitely could have done without the baby talk of the youngest, but the quality of the others made up for it.)

So, find yourself a comfy spot, make sure you have a chunk of time, then relax and get ready to meet Luke, Matt, Kate and Bo.

6 comments:

  1. I read Crow Lake one or two years ago and wasn't sure about it as I read it, but ended up liking it for the most part. I am glad you enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this two times and loved it just as much the second time around. Personally, I enjoyed the humor Bo brought to the sad story. Her presence helped levitate the sorrowful scenes, at least early on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad everyone seems to like this one, it's been in my TRB pile for a while now. Thanks for the thoughts, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Literary Feline ~ I'm glad I read this one. I don't know when I would have gotten to it if it weren't for the Spring Reading Thing Challenge. :)

    Les ~ I would have liked the book more if she didn't talk. lol

    Kookie ~ It doesn't seem like a "Kookie" book, but ya never know. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gautami ~ Oh! Thanks! :) I'll have to come by and see what you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gautami ~ Oh...that was an older review. I remember it now. I really enjoyed The Other Side of the Bridge as well. Great author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!