Thursday, June 21, 2007

MAD RIVER ROAD
Joy Fielding ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 3/5
Yearly Count: 49




This one had a lot of promise. The beginning opens with an intense scene and definitely grabbed my attention. Actually, in general, I thought the plot was pretty interesting throughout, but the level of immaturity in the characters was just too much for me to bear. That made it difficult for me to enjoy the book as a whole.

Virtually, it's about an unplanned road trip from Florida to Ohio and the lives of those that are connected to the two traveling. There were three main storylines going at once which worked fine and the components of a psychological thriller were apparent. However, in my opinion, even those that weren't supposed to be considered psycho definitely had one problem or another.

Another thing ... one of my biggest pet peeves is lying; it's an appalling character trait. This book was filled with ridiculous lies that annoyed me to no end. Overall it gets a "Just Okay" rating from me because I think Ms. Fielding had something there, but lost her way. Although, she apparently wouldn't care if I rated it a "Don't Bother", because she talks after the book about not being able to please everybody. What kind of comment is that?

5 comments:

  1. Nothing like an author writing in her caveats as she goes.

    I hear you on the peeves! My current book is being slightly off tracked by just an absolutely idiotic "romantic" complication. I just want to slap her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad. You always hear about how hard it is to get published. Makes me wonder how some books make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:11 PM

    I didn't love this either. I can't even really say I liked it. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always up for a "journey" book--but am not so sure after reading this book. As for immature characters, my review for today contained a host of such folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie K ~ LOL

    Booklogged ~ This actually has a very good plot. I just didn't care for the characters. They may not annoy others.

    Amanda ~ Glad to know I'm not alone. :)

    Sage ~ I can usually let a few immature things slip by but when it's constant...it really ruins the book for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!