Tuesday, June 26, 2007

RIGHT HO, JEEVES
P.G. Wodehouse ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 2.5/5
Yearly Count: 51





Absurd.

I'm waiting for two books on CD that I have on hold at the library, so I wanted to listen to something that wouldn't require a long time (just in case they came in soon). I thought this one was a good choice being that it was only 6 CDs. I was right...it was a good choice for length, but for content...I was wrong.

This actually is part of an English series. There's a bloke named Bertie who has a butler named Jeeves. In this escapade, Bertie & Jeeves devise a scheme to get a particular couple together. There are many mishaps along the way with a few one liners that made me shake my head, but other than that - it's a bunch of drivel.

I have to say, IF you like English humor and jibber, you'll like this. I can really see how people could enjoy this series; however, it's just not for me.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:24 PM

    Ah yes, but to see Hugh Laurie as the young bumbling Wooster is pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Jeeves and Wooster. We discovered them through the tv series with Hugh Laurie. Most excellent. I don't think I've read this particular book but I have read several. I can only take a few at a time or they get tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of the Jeeves and Wooster series of books either, but I do love the BBC TV series with Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie. Fry is a perfectly dry Jeeves and Laurie a bumbling Bertie Wooster. They were a comedy team before this, and they are very funny together here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie K ~ I think I would enjoy WATCHING the TV series, especially with Hugh! :)

    DebD ~ My husband enjoyed this book more than I. We both would like to see the show.

    Gentle Reader ~ Now we HAVE to SEE them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'm different in my feelings on this. I really liked the books and didn't care for the show because we get to know Bertie so much better in the books. Try "Jeeves in the Morning" before you give up altogether -- that's my favorite. It's hilarious. And if you still don't like it, well, I'll just have to be okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:55 AM

    I have to admit, I've never read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plots may be utter drivel, but Wodehouse had such a wonderful turn of phrase.
    I like the Blandings stories myself, especially the rather dim Earl and his favourite pig.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the series and Wodehouse is one of my escape reads. After a time, all of the Jeeves and Wooster books begin to sound alike, but I still love them. Love the Blandings stories, also. And, even his golf stories. Okay, I'm just a fan; I confess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tristi ~ LOL If I try another one, I'll remember JEEVES IN THE MORNING.

    Carrie K ~ Oh give it a try Carrie. They're short. :)

    Eigon ~ Being in a different frame of mind may help me appreciate it more.

    Bookfool ~ This was my first read and I felt like the whole book sounded the same. LOL Maybe it was the narrator???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!