Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Book Awards Reading Challenge (Newbery)

DEAR MR. HENSHAW
Beverly Cleary
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 69



Leigh Botts, for the majority of the book, is a sixth grade boy of divorced parents. His first letter to his favorite author is sent in the second grade and over the years develops a bit of a relationship with him. The book reveals Leigh's life during the sixth grade via letters to Mr. Henshaw and to his diary.

I loved the beginning of this book, enjoyed the middle, and disappointedly so, felt it lost its punch at the end.

3 comments:

  1. That's too bad about the ending. The idea of the book sounds great.

    BTW, love your new purple look. Best of all I love, love, love what you said in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book in years but loved it as a child. I think there's a sequel also. Maybe called Strider. I don't really remember since that was proble 17 years ago that I read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Booklogged ~ I loved the idea of the book, too.

    The purple layout is relatively new, but my chatter in the header has remained the same since I began blogging. Thanks for noticing and commenting. That was very kind of you. :)

    Emily ~ I wasn't aware that there was a sequel. I will have to look into that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!