Monday, September 10, 2007

Book Awards Reading Challenge (Newbery)

MANIAC MAGEE
Jerry Spinelli ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 2.25/5
Yearly Count: 81




I have seen this author's name on many, many books, but never picked one up to read. This particular title fit the challenge and my desire to read a Spinelli book. It's just too bad I didn't like it.


Jeffrey Lionel Magee (aka Maniac Magee) is an orphan who tries to make his way in the world at the age of eight. On the streets, he encounters what life has to offer . . . some good - some bad. There were many issues addressed, some of which could provoke great discussion in children, so the book is not a total loss. Some topics of discussion might include: racism, abandonment, friendship, self-esteem, family, etc.

Maybe if I were a young male I would have been a little more impressed by this one, but I'm not and I wasn't. Onward . . .

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, definately a boy's book. I read it aloud to my son and he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola ~ I was so disappointed, but now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read another novel by Spinelli and remember thinking that I should've read Maniac Magee instead! Now that I've read your review, I think I'll just pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bybee ~ The title has always intrigued me, so I understand your thoughts. You may like it more than I, but I would have preferred to read something else.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!