Friday, November 09, 2007

Christmas Theme Book Challenge

CHRISTMAS LETTERS
Debbie Macomber ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 107




This short Christmas-themed book contains some silliness along with some absolute nonsense, but it was balanced out with some likeable characters and a homey feeling. I was very thankful for the latter. I actually liked the storyline, too, and was curious as to its resolution.

The plot revolved around a woman named Katherine who lives in the same building as a popular author that wrote a book about child rearing. The child rearing advice is appalling to Katherine. So guess what? Yep. Through some crazy circumstances, they meet and fall into lust - I mean love, but still have to contend with their opposing viewpoints.

I'm really not a fan of Macomber's style, but it was a refreshing listen after hearing about the Dust Bowl for days upon days. And it wasn't an over-powering Christmas theme, which was a good segue into the season.

7 comments:

  1. LOL - I know you're not a big Macomber fan, but she's nice for an occasional brain break - or recovery from The Dust Bowl ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:02 AM

    I have never read a book by her but I do have one of her series on my 1st in a Series list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi ~ I never really had a need for a "brain break" until this year. I have just kept plugging away at one book or another and one was not needed. ??? I'm thinking that's ANOTHER sign that I'm getting older. Crud. (I have to admit that this one was quite pleasing for that exact purpose.)

    I just thought of this...maybe I intuitively planned my books so that a brain break wasn't needed! Whew! I feel better now. My faculties are intact. :) (I know how to fool myself, too!) LOL

    Danielle ~ I'll be reading 16 Lighthouse Road for a few challenges. AND...I do want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's got to be one of the quickest turnarounds ever for a challenge opener ever! *laughs* I always like a light book after heavier reading, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3M ~ I had it ready to go and it was only 4 CDs! I almost stopped in the middle of 3 and thought I may as well just finish it. I wanted to know the ending anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a book by her on my "Book Around the States" list. I agree she is pretty light fare which sometimes I need. And I like frothy Christmas books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Framed ~ I like your word choice...frothy. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!