Thursday, December 27, 2007

SACRED COWS
Karen E. Olson
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 127





This first in a series was about Annie Seymour, a police reporter, who stumbles upon more than she expects when called upon to report about the death of a Yale University coed. It involves some mystery, romance and yes . . . cows.

In general, I found the plot to be pretty good, but the sassy, foul-mouthed main character Annie Seymour wasn't too appealing to me. She had some glimmers of compassion, but the majority of her disposition seemed to have an angry, almost snide edge. I would venture to read the next providing she softens up a bit; she was just a little too much.

8 comments:

  1. That's how I felt about her the first book too, Joy. She did grow on me more in the second outing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie K ~ Oh, thanks for letting me know. That's good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was actually my favorite of the three--in part because I like Annie more hard edged. I could really relate to that side of her. You'll probably do better with the next book, Joy. Annie's a little less tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we had similar feelings about this one :-)

    I didn't love it, thought it was enjoyable, will probably read the second, but not rush out to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Literary Feline ~ Foul language in books is easy to gloss over, but it was constant with her and very difficult to ignore. I find it hard to believe that you can relate to that!!! :)

    Suzi ~ I think it'll be a while for me. I'm in no hurry with so many other books stacking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might be surprised, Joy! Haha I don't mind foul language if it fits the characters and story and it must have for me in this case because I didn't even notice it. I'm the daughter of an enlisted soldier. Foul language was a part of my dad's every day vocabulary when I was growing up. I don't find it offensive as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this book but haven't read it yet. I hope the story is good enough to get me past the language.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Literary Feline ~ Thanks for the explanation. :) It's helpful in understanding your view.

    Framed ~ For your sake, I hope so too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!