Monday, April 28, 2008

ACCELERATION

Graham McNamee
Genre: YA Suspense
Published: 2005
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 58




Duncan's boring, summer job at the Lost & Found in Toronto's subway often leaves him time to pick up a not yet claimed book. One day while looking for something to read, he stumbles upon a diary. As Duncan begins to read it, he discovers that it is filled with serial killer type jottings. Out of concern for the safety of others, he takes it to the police who appear to be uninterested, so he proceeds to investigate on his own.

What a great find! I picked this up months ago on a whim and loaded it onto my iPod. Although, if I were to do it all over again, I would read the hand-held version. The narrator, Scott Brick, who I absolutely love, made the teenagers sound older than they really were. On several occasions, I had to remind myself that they were teens. Other than that - the characters were true-to-life, the plot, while a little unconventional, piqued my curiosity and kept me listening, and the pace at which the book accelerated was executed with precision. Well done.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! Thanks, I might save it for the next round of the Canadian challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good ! I am adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it...but it's on the wish list now! Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this one sounds terrific! i'm putting it on my to-read list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicola ~ Oh! That's perfect! :)

    Amy ~ I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read your thoughts, if you pick it up.

    Debi ~ I didn't either until it was in my hands. :)

    Alison ~ I hope you like it, too. One thing I noticed since posting my thoughts is that I really enjoyed reading (listening) about a boy. So many YA books that I have read have been about girls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!