Friday, April 25, 2008

BLANKETS

Craig Thompson
Genre: YA Graphic Memoir
Published: 2003
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 57



Craig Thompson shares the natural progression of his childhood through the combination of pictures and words. The memories of living in his parents' home with his brother, going to school and church, and seeking the desires of his heart are the focus.

Once I got over the shock that this book weighed a ton, I turned the first page and became wrapped up in the story. I soon forgot that it was almost 600 pages long! The emotions that Thompson was able to depict in his drawings were fabulous and even though they were caricatures, he made them come alive. This honest and deep coming-of-age memoir is powerful in its realism. Through the pictures and words, I felt as if I experienced Craig's life right alongside him. The final pages left me a little gloomy or empty, so I am tacking on the fact that he is, now, a successful graphic novelist and hopefully has found himself and happiness.

Oh yes, there are some pertinent graphic pictures that are meant for mature young adults.

10 comments:

  1. I followed you from Semicolon. I found Thompson's memoir emotionally true, and beautiful to read. I also recommend his other graphic novels, Goodbye Chunky Rice, a tale of loss told through allegorical characters of a turtle and a mouse, and CArnet de Voyage, a travel diary of his trip to Morrocco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost quit when I read 600 pages!! Gasp. But your review makes it sound so worthwhile and I've never read a graphic novel, soooo . . . on the list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl Detective ~ Thanks for stopping by! And I think I will look into his other work. Thanks for the confirmation.

    Framed ~ It's a HUGE book, but it goes by very quickly. Remember that it's mainly pictures. It'll only take a couple hours or so to read. I've been so impressed with the graphic novels I have read this year. I NEVER would have picked them up if it wasn't for the challenge.

    If you do decide to venture into graphic novels, make sure you "read" The Arrival Tan) and The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Selznick), too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:57 PM

    I have been introduced to graphic novels by some of my younger coworkers and also our teenage patrons. While I haven't liked all I have tried (not so much for manga), I plan to try this one soon. It has 2 thumbs up from my friends and I'm glad to see that you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay ~ I talked to the librarian where I frequent and she said the ones I have read (and checked out that day) are all "classics". She got choked up when I mentioned Blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graphic novels are still pretty new to me, but I've been so impressed with just how varied they are. I've really enjoyed the few I've read so far. And this definitely sounds like one to add the TBR pile. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debi ~ I've got some others in my TBR pile that I'm excited about. I'll have to come by for a visit (I promise I'll knock first) and refresh my memory as to what graphic novels you have read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the first few pages of this on amazon and liked it. Want to read it...didn't know it was 600 pages, though...not like that'll stop me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping to read this one for the graphic novel challenge. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bybee ~ It would stop me, if it weren't a graphic novel! :)

    Iliana ~ The graphic novels have been so much fun. Never thought I'd enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!