Thursday, July 03, 2008

15th Challenge Completed!

I completed my personal goal (no specified number required for the challenge) at the end of June by reading 10 memoirs. Memoirs is one of my favorite genres, so this challenge fit nicely into my desired reading choices. As I was making up my possibilities list, I discovered many others that I have added on my TBR list and look forward to reading them.

Thank you N. Vasillis from
In Their Shoes for hosting this challenge!


In Their Shoes Challenge Reads:

The Birthday Party: A Memoir of Survival (Alpert)
The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust (Beer)
If I Am Missing or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love, Murder, and Liberation (Latus)
A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive (Pelzer)
My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud (Clash)
Blankets (Thompson)
Maus I: A Survivor's Tale (Spiegelman)
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (Bryson)
The Lost Boy (Pelzer)
Maus II: A Survivor's Tale (Spiegelman)


Here's my
original list of books with links to my thoughts.


Favorites:
The Nazi Officer's Wife (Beer)
A Child Called "It" (Pelzer)
Maus II: A Survivor's Tale (Spiegelman)

Least Favorites:
(these were still okay/good reads)
The Birthday Party (Alpert)
If I Am Missing or Dead (Latus)
My Life as a Furry Red Monster (Clash)

19 comments:

  1. You're amazing, Joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I think you are the challenge Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! Fantastic job, Joy! I have found that memoirs is one of my favorite genres as well--and my favorite non-ficiton subgenre. I keep forgetting about the Nazi Officer's Wife--thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Wow! And I see you still have 19 challenges on-going. You really are the Challenge Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll echo the others in crowning you the Challenge Queen! I read and really liked The Nazi Officer's Wife and A Child Called "It". Never read any of the others on your list though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I thought that I'd finish quickly, but it didn't work out that way.... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! I've only managed to complete 1 challenge but I have joined a bunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Joy! Awesome job. I see you have so many challenges on the go-I don't know how you do it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, you've got me glowing that sickly green color of envy again ;)
    Congrats, Joy! You truly are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Good job. I don't think I've read a single memoir this year. Oh, wait. Yes, I did. Eat, Pray, Love. Now I'm reading Three Cups of Tea, but that's more Current Affairs than Memoir. Congrats on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary ~ I'm glad someone thinks so! lol Thanks, Mary. :)

    Nicola ~ No...I don't think so. There are many others that would qualify for that title more than I would. Now, I can handle my DH considering me "Queen". :)

    Trish ~ Oh yes, it's a good one Trish. I look forward to your review.

    Lynne ~ YIKES! Thanks for letting me know I still have 19 to go! :) I'm actually wrapping up a few more soon. I need to get out from under. :) (Even though I have loved the challenges of this year.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eileen ~ As you can see, I really enjoyed most of them. It's a very appealing genre for me.

    Bybee ~ I have many more I want to read, but have to finish up other challenges first. Hope you enjoy your choices as much as I did mine.

    Samantha ~ You still have time! Although, whether you finish them or not, if you are having fun - they will be a success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dar ~ One book at a time! lol Actually that's not true. I always have two going, but sometimes three. It all depends on the genres.

    Debi ~ *Big Grin* I love when people call me amazing! :) You are cruising along, too! I didn't comment yet on your post regarding the Xinran book because I'm reading it now. I'll be back!

    Les ~ Oh! I can't wait to read Three Cups of Tea! I've had that on many challenge lists, but it just hasn't made it into my hands yet. (operative word...yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it turns out I don't care for it enough to keep it, I'd be more than happy to pass it along to you, if you like. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go girl! I am plugging away on my challenges but have doubts about finishing them all--too much to do and not enough hours in my day! I am planning on reading The Nazi Wife also--when I do, I will have to come back and read your review!
    Happy July--
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. Les ~ I hope that you love it and want to keep it, but if not...I'd love to have it. Thanks for the offer. :)

    Kim ~ Sounds like a plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Knowing me, I'll forget who I've promised this to, so after I review the book, just remind me, ok? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on finishing yet another challenge! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Les ~ Alrighty. You've got a deal. :)

    Teddy Rose ~ I'm moving along. I know you're making progress, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!