Friday, October 26, 2007

COMPLETED:  June, 2008


Hosted By: N. Vasillis
(no specific # of books required/January - December, 2008)



LIST OF POSSIBILITIES:


The Birthday Party: A Memoir of Survival (Alpert)
(Finished: April, 2008)

The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust (Beer)

If I Am Missing or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love, Murder, and Liberation (Latus)

A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive (Pelzer)

My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud (Clash)

Blankets (Thompson)

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale (Spiegelman)

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale (Spiegelman)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (Bryson)

The Lost Boy (Pelzer)



ALTERNATES:

Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant (Tammet)

A Walk Across America (Jenkins)

Crazy: A Father's Search through America's Mental Health Madness (Earley)

Dry: A Memoir (Burroughs)

My Dark Places: An L. A. Crime Memoir (Ellroy)

An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography (Rusesabagina)

Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod (Paulsen)

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School at a Time (Mortenson)

Road Song: A Memoir (Kusz)

One Red Paperclip: Or How an Ordinary Man Achieved His Dream with the Help of a Simple Office Supply (MacDonald)

Without a Map: A Memoir (Hall)

A Piece of Cake: A Memoir (Brown)

True Notebooks: A Writer's Year in Juvenile Hall (Salzman)

Stuart: A Life Backwards (Masters)

Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison (Parsell)

Notes from Nethers: Growing Up in a Sixties Commune (Eugster)

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures (Fadiman)

The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur (Hari)

11 comments:

  1. i've just posted my list of possibilities. i haven't even heard of nearly all of your choices, let alone read them, so i'll be very interested in reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:57 AM

    Well of course you know that memoirs are what I absolutely love above all else!!! I just popped over there and joined...now I have to get my list together ;) A great distraction from my dismal self absorbed days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisonwonderland ~ There are millions of memoirs out there and too many that I want to read. :) I'm trying to get a variety of topics. I can't wait to get started.

    Danielle ~ I love memoirs, too. :) I can't wait to see your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lots of great choices here! I really liked Road Song, the Bryon, the Beer and I have a few of these on my 'to do ' list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara ~ I think I got the Road Song from your blog! :) Some of my choices are new to me, but many are titles I just haven't been able to get to yet. I'm glad this will be the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited about this challenge, that I'm tempted to start early!!

    Of your choices, the only one I've read is A Child Called It. It's an eye-opening book. Very sad, but I've read Pelzer's other books and, ultimately, they're very hopeful.

    I'll be interested to read all your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan ~ Well...you can start early, just fill the read books in with new ones by the end of December. :)

    I've been wanting to read A Child Called "It" since it came out! My kids read it years and years ago and I never did pick it up. This challenge is a perfect opportunity for me to finally get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have come great choices here! I really liked The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, and Winterdance. I'll be interested to see what you think if you decide to read Three Cups of Tea, that one is on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nyssaneala ~ I'm having a difficult time choosing a specific list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just about to start reading One Red Paper Clip for the Canadian Challenge. LOL

    It sure looks good & interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Historia ~ Oh good, then I can get the low down from you. I'm not sure yet if it's going to make my final list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!