Sunday, November 30, 2008

THE KALAHARI TYPING SCHOOL FOR MEN

Author:  Alexander McCall Smith
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Published:  2003
Personal Rating:  4/5
Yearly Count:  153



Precious Ramotswe encounters competition in the private detective business when a man opens an office nearby, and she takes on a case that involves a man seeking to resolve himself of his conscience.  In conjunction, she supports Mma Matekoni in seeking her own business venture by opening a typing school for men.  This proves to encompass more than just business.

This fourth book in the series was very good.  I enjoyed the variety of cases and how Mme Ramotswe solves them with dignity.  I am, also, very pleased that the characters are growing and changing.  The series has not become stagnate or old, which makes me eager to pick up the next book titled The Full Cupboard of Life.

7 comments:

  1. I really must pick up this series - I enjoy Smith's writing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really want to read the rest of the entire series next year. I've only read the first two, but I loved them.

    Thanks for putting my giveaway on the sidebar!

    Also, your new header is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I love Smith's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first book and did enjoy it yet I've not gone back and read any others. I'll have to one of these days. I love your new header-it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book in the series as well. I haven't finished the series yet and enjoy reading them slowly. I always crave bush (Rooibush)tea when I read books in this series!LOL! Celestial Seasonings makes a delicious Madagascar Vanilla Red Rooibush tea that is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really a mystery reader, but I would like to try this series...which one is first??

    ReplyDelete
  7. YIKES! I thought I responded to these comments! Must have been in my head - only. :)

    Ms. Bookish ~ If you already know that you like his writing, then by all means - pick one up! :)

    3M ~ I think I liked this one the best so far, but it may be that I'm just used to the style of this series now. Being that I know Precious fairly well, it's great to read about what she's up to.

    I still have work to do on the header, but thanks!

    Bermudaonion ~ What have you read by him?

    Dar ~ The series has grown on me. I look forward to getting to the fifth one.

    Thanks for the compliment. My other one was temporary and it stayed for a very long time. I have to make sure I fix this one up before it takes up permanent residence.

    Bonnie ~ HA! I remember you talking about the tea way back when! My favorite is peppermint. Love that stuff.

    Bybee ~ While they are mysteries, they are more about the characters. The detective agency is sort of a ruse for us to get to know the characters - how they think, what's important in life, etc. The jobs they receive are interesting and you do want to know how they are resolved. Smith has a very good balance between the two. The first book is The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!