Saturday, December 27, 2008

84, CHARING CROSS ROAD

Author:  Helene Hanff
Genre:  Non-Fiction
Published:  1970
Personal Rating:  3.5/5
Yearly Count:  164




84, Charing Cross Road is the address of a London used book store.  The employees of the store and a New York freelance writer exchange letters over a period of 20 years.  The shared love of books begin their relationship and at the end, it is the shared loved of one another.

I enjoyed the book talk and it was nice to read about the growing relationships between all the parties involved through the epistolary writing style, but it wasn't enthralling - just good.  

7 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot as I am a big fan of epistolary writing. I also liked the books and bookshop stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just crazy about books about books and almost forty years ago when I read it this was an original and delightful book. Nice to read a review of an oldie, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read this one years ago when i was in college. i remember really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a copy of this! I hope I like it better than you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie ~ Yep, me too. :)

    Sandra ~ As an original read, I can imagine it being better than what I experienced now. I still thought it was good, though.

    Alisonwonderland ~ I enjoyed it, but I like others better.

    Bookfool ~ Oh, you probably will. :) I just read some really good epistolary books this year that this one somewhat paled in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you should rent the movie! Anthony Hopkins and Ann Bancroft. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ Okay! I will. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!