Wednesday, December 24, 2008

BROTHER

Author:  James Fredericks
Genre:  Legal Thriller
Published:  2008
Personal Rating:  4.25/5
Yearly Count:  163



From the back cover:

What does it mean to call another man brother?

When former prosecutor-turned-defense attorney Chase Riordan and his estranged brother Jared are accused of crimes they didn't commit, they must somehow work together to clear their names.  As they peel away the layers of deception to uncover the truth, suspicions fall upon those closest to them, testing relationships and forcing choices between their families, their careers, and their friendships.  Against a backdrop of suspicion, betrayal, to attain justice, and whether the bonds of brotherhood extend beyond blood.  For in the end, their fate - and perhaps even survival - may well depend upon their belief and trust in each other.

At the crossroads between legal thriller and a sophisticated examination of relationships and broken bonds, Brother is a stunning debut, with calculated plot turns and an ultimate resolution that will leave readers breathless and moved.


Fredericks's debut suspense novel was very good!  I was quite surprised to see that it was 410 pages when I received it and was slightly concerned that I wouldn't complete it.  Even though many outside events prohibited a speedy completion of the book, it turned out to be a fast, intriguing novel when time allowed - absolutely no problems in completing it!

Brother's full story line and descriptive writing provided a strong force to keep reading.  The courtroom, a medical facility, the Army, a tobacco company and life-long friends are a few pieces to the puzzle.  Fredericks takes us on an exciting adventure to experience how they all fit together.  I'm hoping this is the first of many by this new novelist.

* Recommended By:  Jen from Jen's Book Thoughts




Brother was release in October, 2008.

Many, many thanks go to Ellie from Bascom Hill Publishing Group for sending me this book.

7 comments:

  1. Another review that makes me want to read the book starting NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed this one too, Joy! I also am hoping for more from Fredericks; he's a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i put this one on my to-read list when i first saw that you were reading it - or possibly that someone else was ... i'm glad it turned out so good. i'll definitely have to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:52 PM

    This sounds like a great book. I will keep it in mind for the S/T Challenge in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Booklogged ~ I think Fredericks writes very well. The court aspects were great, as were the medical facility scenes.

    Jen ~ Thanks so much for the recommendation, Jen. I really enjoyed it - can't wait for more. :)

    Alisonwonderland ~ I hope you get a chance to read it. It's a good one.

    J. Kaye ~ I believe it's classified as a legal thriller, but it's filled with much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I love it when you find good debut suspense/mysteries for me :-) This does sound good, but I can't believe you read a book that was over 400 pages long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzi ~ I didn't know (or remember) that before I received it! Then I felt obligated to read it. It's a good thing it was a good one! :) I've listened to a couple of books over 400 and that was a bit difficult too. I think the real culprit is that I lose interest. I discovered this when I found that I really enjoy short stories. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!