Tuesday, December 30, 2008

NOT WAVING BUT DROWNING

Author:  Ron Rash
Genre:  Short Stories
Published:  Chemistry and Other Stories, 2007
Personal Rating:  3.75/5
(ss) Yearly Count:  49



A young, married couple is waiting in an emergency room to find out whether they are losing, yet, another baby.

Every time I pick up this book, I remember how much I love this man's writing.  It's amazing to me how he can fit so much in such a small space.  I was in the waiting room with these people and know or can surmise much about their lives.  Their emotions were palpable, the tension was thick.  However, this story had a problem - it ended.  I'm sad to say that I needed more, just a few more pages or paragraphs or even a couple of sentences would have been good.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

3 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have heard of this author. I'll keep him in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read any Ron Rash before. I just got Serena from Amazon, and I am looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charley ~ I read One Foot in Eden and loved it. Since then, I have only read half of this book (short stories) and have purchased several other books he has written - including Serena, which I CAN'T WAIT TO READ!. He's a Southern writer, so if that's your "thing" - you will be pleased. :)

    Pam ~ Oh . . . I believe you are in for a treat. I've been reading this short story collection just to give me some peace from anxiety, until I can read his other books on my selves. I plan on reading Serena first, though. I look forward to reading your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!