Wednesday, December 31, 2008

THE SCREAM

Author:  Rohinton Mistry
Genre:  Fiction
Published:  2008
Personal Rating:  3.25/5
Yearly Count:  167




An old man shares his thoughts and feelings about the people and things around him.

I had been wanting to read A Fine Balance by this author, but just never built up enough courage to tackle such a lengthy book.  When Dar from Peeking Between the Pages posted her review of this book, it sounded like a perfect fit for me.  Better yet, after she generously sent me the book (thanks, again!), I discovered the actual story only consisted of 25 pages!  :)  What a perfect opportunity to get an introduction to this author.  And, yes, I chose it now to "get-another-book-in" before midnight!  

In the end, it turns out to be a good taste of what Mistry can do with words.  It was an odd story, but one that I could feel.  The old man expressed himself very well, which provoked several emotions in me.  This has encouraged me to read A Fine Balance.  It's sitting on my shelf - just waiting. 

* Recommended By:  Dar from Peeking Between the Pages

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed this. This is one of the many books I acquired during this trip to Canada. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I'm glad you enjoyed Mistry's writing. He's been a favorite of mine for a long time. I can't wait to see what you'll think of A Fine Balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanabata ~ It's different, but in a good way.

    Dar ~ You may have to wait a while, Dar. :( I have so many books that I have held at bay until I could be challengefree. I want to read it, but it won't be any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:38 PM

    Joy, would I be too nosy in asking how did you get so many book if you were participating in so many challenges? That's why I have gone excessive in 2009 with the challenges. I figure if I can complete at least half, all my books will be read...and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J. Kaye ~ I just responded by e-mail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!