Monday, January 26, 2009

JAR CITY

Author: Arnaldur Indridason
Genre: Thriller, Series #1
Published: 2004
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 14



Inspector Erlendur of Iceland heads a case involving the presumed murder of an older man in his flat. His body was left with their only clue - an obscure, three worded message.

The reading of this, first in a series thriller, was a unique experience for me. There were quite a few elements that got in the way for this to be a truly satisfying experience. The writing was unlike most thrillers I have read, so I had to adjust to Indridason's style and the quietness of Iceland (even though it rained continuously). The translation did not feel spot on and I always have to acclimate myself to names and places outside of my country-sweet-country. And, the mystery itself was different. I watched Erlendur go off on tangents (purposeful tangents) and it made me feel unsteady.

Even with all the new emotions, I still felt it was a good mystery. It purely was a matter of location and style of writing. They didn't make for a comfortable read, but not an unpleasant one either. I now have the ground work in place for when I pick up Silence of the Grave, the second in the series. I anticipate that being a better experience.

8 comments:

  1. I am glad I'm not the only one who sometimes has a hard time with books that are set outside of the U.S. I hope the second is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristie ~ I'm glad to find that out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arnaldur Indridason is one of those author's who I buy as soon as there is a new release. He is wonderful - just transports me to another place in the world - He just conjures up the country perfectly in my mind.

    Being an Aussie means nearly all the books I read are set outside my home country - it is a wonderful way to learn about other people and cultures - broadens our outlook on life. There are some great Aussie authors - some are big sellers over in the US. I have Arnaldur Indridason's 4th book on my TBR pile and his 5th has just been released here in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally906 ~ I totally agree. Reading is a "wonderful way to learn about other people and cultures."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard of this one, but my husband told me the other day something about people reading more in Iceland than other countries. Not sure what that's based on, but just passing on the useless information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish ~ LOL Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this book too. I enjoyed Voices even more, the first I read by him. I like the main character's crusty nature, and Scandinavian literature and mysteries in general. I also read somewhere that Icelanders read more than than any other country. Enjoy the next book. Thank you for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra ~ I probably won't get to the second one in this series any time soon. I have so many others that I really can't wait to read and have on my TBR shelf, that this one will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!