Sunday, January 25, 2009

HITLER YOUTH

Author:  Susan Campbell Bartoletti
Genre:  NF YA, Standalone
Published:  2005
Personal Rating:  4.5/5
Yearly Count:  13


This book is a product of Bartoletti's extensive two year research of former members of the Hitler Youth and Jewish people during the time of the Third Reich.  She conducted interviews in person, through letters, e-mails, and phone calls.  Bartoletti also spent numerous hours reading diaries and letters of personal histories.  This book is Bartoletti's attempt to "make sense" out of the 12 year devastating period of history.  "Stories connect us, teach us, and warn us never to forget."  These stories "turn the heart over."

My basic knowledge has been greatly expanded by facts regarding the role of the youth in WWII.  Bartoletti focuses on 12 individual youths that had some sort of experience with or in the Hitler Youth.  This group is a well-rounded representation of the youths' emotions and actions in the 12 years of horror.  Even though Bartoletti focuses on the 12, she also provides ample details that help understand how it all happened.

I listened to this book and have just become aware that there are fantastic black and white photos throughout the book version.  I need to get my hands on it - asap.


17 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:45 PM

    I find books like that disturbing and fascinating at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ "Disturbing and fascinating at the same time" - I agree. It really filled in a lot of missing pieces for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something that I will definitely have to check out. I'm interested (can't say enjoy that sounds wrong) in WWII fiction and nonfiction so I think I'll want to read this book. Great review Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't actually heard of Hilter's Youth until The Book Thief (if I'm remembering right). Sounds like a fascinating book--I agree with Bermuda about being really interested and disturbed about these stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first husband's mother was in Hitler Youth. The only thing she ever said about it was that it was like the Girl Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this sounds very interesting! I read a lot about this time period - making I'm trying to make sense of and understand something that will never make sense. I'll definitely get this one, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very interesting. I'll definitely have to look for this. Thanks Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha ~ For me, this was fascinating non-fiction material. Lots of stuff I was unaware of.

    Trish ~ Sometimes when I'm reading I don't think something in particular doesn't have that much significance. In this case, the Hitler Youth were one powerful group!

    Bybee ~ WOW! I actually described the group to my husband like that - Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts. In the beginning at least - that was the draw.

    Joanna ~ I can't wait to read your thoughts.

    Nicola ~ It's short, but densely packed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! You have to see the pictures. That was half of the book! She also authored The Boy Who Dared based on Helmuth who was featured in this book. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maw Books ~ The book is being held for me at the library. I was just going to check the pictures out there, but I think I'll bring it home and breeze through the written word along with the photos. I'm aware of The Boy Who Dared and will probably read it/listen to it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Straight to the wish list this one goes. Thank you, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debi~ While I LOVE audiobooks, I think reading the handheld version would be best. :) Actually, it is so huge, that you will need both hands! The pictures added so much reality to the words. This perspective was so enlightening for me. I know you'll find it quite profound.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm rather behind in reading blog entries, so forgive me for this being so late, but...this book sounds wonderful! I love readinger books that have something to do with WWII. I'm headed to the bookstore at lunch, I think I'll see if I can find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kris ~ Did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joy - no...they didn't have a copy. I checked Border's website and they didn't have a copy in any of the stores in my area. I'm sure I'll find it used online though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kris ~ Bummer. I hope you don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joy - I won't! It sounds like just the type of book for me. I'll have to remember to look for used ones on Amazon next time I'm doing some shopping on that site.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!