Tuesday, February 10, 2009

NO TIME FOR GOODBYE

Author:  Linwood Barclay
Genre:  Thriller, Standalone
Published:  2007
Personal Rating:  4/5
Yearly Count:  20



The three of them - they were just gone.  Cynthia Bigge was just 14-years-old when her parents and older brother vanished without a trace and were never to be seen again.  Now, as a married parent herself, Cynthia continues to struggle with their disappearance, so she appears on a television show with the hopes of spurring memories.  Soon after, strange things begin to happen, like an odd phone call and an unexpected token left in their home.  Cynthia wonders if her family could possibly still be alive.

Hooray!  I believe I have found another author to follow.  While this book had its share of coincidences and just right fits, the characters (mainly Terry, Cynthia's husband) kept me from doing too many eye rolls.  He had a slight sense of humor and seemed the most realistic of the bunch.  The story line did have some twists that were unexpected and ultimately - I thought it was a very good book.

10 comments:

  1. That's what I thought when I read his Too Close to Home in the fall! I'll look for this one at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta like it when a character saves the eyes from rolling. = )
    I'll have to look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this one too! I didn't guess the ending at all! A really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're tempting me here. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this author! This one was probably my least favorite by him, but I still enjoyed it. Mr. Barclay also writes a somewhat cozy mystery series with a funny dad as the lead character that I loved. Mr. Barclay's latest book was even better than this one and I would recommend you read that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raidergirl3 ~ Yay! Glad to hear that. :)

    Vickie ~ LOL Those type of things bother me when I'm reading/listening to a book. I did notice it in this one, but it wasn't overbearing. Also, the book got better as it went along.

    Farmlanebooks ~ I knew one thing, but I didn't know how or why. I look forward to more.

    Mary ~ Read somebody else's full review and that'll push you over to the read side. :)

    Kristie ~ He is a new-to-me author and I'm excited that I finally met him. It's good to know that this was your least favorite, especially when I really liked it. The others may be fantastic. :) What is the name of his cozy series?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I'm off to the library tomorrow to check this one out. I love when you discover new authors!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle ~ Kristie (above) liked this one the least of his books, so if they don't have this one, make sure you look at his others. :) I hope you like him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read thrillers to often but I'll make a note of this one for when the mood strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iliana ~ There's nothing gruesome in this book at all. It's heavy on the mystery. Supposedly he has a good following.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!