Tuesday, February 10, 2009

PEMBERTON'S BRIDE

Author: Ron Rash
Genre: Short Story, Collection
Published: Chemistry and Other Stories, 2007
Personal Rating: 3.75/5
(ss) Yearly Count: 7



This is a longer, short story (46 pages) about a man that owns a lumber mill company and brings home a bride who has a mind of her own - a strong, dark mind.

I have mixed feelings about this one.  The story line was very good, but it felt like the story was lengthened instead of taking the pages to deepen the characters.  I was engrossed in this rather dark story, but it didn't have the background or depth I wanted/needed.  

I wondered if this short story was the seed to Serena, Rash's latest novel.  (The wife's name was Serena.  I'm quick like that.  *grin*)  I have now discovered that, yes indeed, it is.  Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Joy, you are going to adore Serena if you liked the short story! I had no idea it even was a short story first! I have only 100 pages left in the novel and I am completely, utterly engrossed. Read it soon, while the short story is still fresh in your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie ~ I didn't know Serena came from this short story until I read it and saw the name Serena. :) To me, this one was not what I was used to. It was still good - just not the same. I was thrilled to verify that it is the book Serena because it has a lot going for it. I love Rash's work, so I anticipate it being a great book. I'm so glad you're loving it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!