Wednesday, February 11, 2009

SKELETON CREEK


Author: Patrick Carman
Genre: Children's (9-12) Thriller, Series #1
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4.5/5
Yearly Count: 21




Ryan and Sarah live in Skeleton Creek and they believe something to be amiss in the town. While searching for clues, Ryan has an accident which ultimately requires him to be housebound. Sarah can't give up the hunt, so she continues on. Unfortunately the two have been separated by both sets of parents, so they come up with a unique way to communicate. Ryan is a writer, he records all his thoughts in a journal and Sarah loves to make movies, she takes footage of her findings. Together, through the internet, they are able to move forward in their investigation.

I loved this (except for the few moral issues I don't like to promote in children's books)! Ryan's journal is where we read the story and Sarah's video clips are literally on the internet and we see what she has discovered (passwords are given in the journal). The story flows from journal to clip, journal to clip, etc. It keeps you on your toes and maintains interest throughout. I suggest reading it in one sitting by a computer. You won't want to stop.

The reading level age states 9 - 12. It does not read like a children's book and is perfect for the reluctant reader; however, I can see why it can attract 9 - 12 year olds, but it can certainly be enjoyed by teens and adults. I was fascinated. It was both creative and fresh, and for me, it didn't come across as immature or foolish. This just came out yesterday, so I have a long wait for Book 2.

*Recommended By: Maw Books Blog

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:27 PM

    I keep reading good things about his one. I guess I need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what an interesting concept! Sounds like a must read to me. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ It's another fast read, so not a lot of time will be invested if you don't like it.

    Debi ~ I was really taken by it. It was just so much fun - so different. I hope you look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book had sounded interesting to me but jumping back and forth from my book to the computer didn't. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dar ~ There are about 5 or 6 videos (I don't have it in front of me at the moment, so that's a pure guess), so you definitely are moving if you're not at the computer. I found it worth it - it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:36 PM

    I can't wait to read this book. Nona has two other books by this author too. It's a series and she's waiting for the first book to arrive before starting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J. Kaye ~ I saw that he had other books, but didn't look into them. I look forward to Nona's reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really neat. I think it's tricky to pull off these types of concepts with books but if it works then that's great. I'll have to keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! I'm so glad that you loved this book! I read the book in bed with the laptop right next to me, so moving back and forth to the videos wasn't a problem for. I think it works so well because it's a ghost story. I'm curious to know that the moral issues that you didn't like were. Like you, we'll have a long wait until book two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iliana ~ That's one reason why I loved it. It was so unique, yet it had substance.

    Maw Books ~ Interestingly enough, I don't care for ghost stories at all. I tried this for the experience and found the story to be intriguing as well. :)

    As for the moral issues (please don't take what I say too seriously) - I don't remember specifics right now, but the ones that pop in my head include: the lying, sneaking in the father's stuff (don't remember if he took anything), and in general, saying things against the parents and/or trying to figure ways to get around them. I'd have no objection if it were for older children who already are aware of deceiving others (unfortunately), but it annoys me immensely when a book is specifically geared or labeled for younger children and they see older children (role models) acting that way. I hate to see books introduce bad ideas. I'm not saying that 9 - 12 year olds don't have their own bad ideas, but having them view high school kids doing that, making it seem "cool" could encourage not good decisions.

    We also know it's a fiction book with the story of a ghost. It's not real, just like other books; however, this has a very realistic approach to it. Obviously, I've given it some slack - I still think it's a Best Read of 2009. :)

    What's your take on that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard somebody else mention that they didn't like the boy sneaking around his dad's bedroom. I suppose I wasn't bothered because it was a mystery and the whole story hinged on the fact that they weren't supposed to see each other. I'm reading The 13th Reality sequel by James Dashner right now and it feels so different and refreshing because the parents are 100% involved. I haven't read a book like that for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you liked this one--I wondered if this one was going to be mostly hype, but it sounds like it has more than just that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maw Books ~ I look forward to your review of The 13th Reality. :)

    Trish ~ I was taken by the creativity. The journal entries were great and the video clips were realistically done - even within a "ghost" story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!