Friday, March 13, 2009

THE NIGHT STALKER

Author: James Swain
Genre: Thriller, Series #2
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 32



A serial killer on death row asks Jack Carpenter, private investigator/ex-cop, to find his kidnapped grandson before his execution date, which is only a few days away. Unfortunately, the killer's own son is the prime suspect.

This second in the series had some interesting plot segues, but everything seemed perfectly set up to make the plot move along. Also, Jack acted as the know-it-all too often for it to feel authentic. Often a good guy with a chip on his shoulder or one that teeters on the bad side draws the reader in with that kind of edge, so I'm not so sure that was the problem, but something was different. I didn't dislike Jack, but he needs to be tweaked somehow. I enjoyed him in the first book, Midnight Rambler, much more and would like to see more of that Jack. I will definitely pick up the third in this series, because I'm curious to find out who will appear - Jack #1 or Jack #2.

4 comments:

  1. Let's hope it will be Jack #1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged ~ I'm a bit concerned. It's hard to go backwards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of this series but it sounds like it is worth giving a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samantha.1020 ~ In general, the series is good, so I think it's worth giving a try. I'm hoping the 3rd will be better though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!