Saturday, April 11, 2009

MAY 18, 2010 (4 of 6)

Author: William R. Potter
Genre: Short Story/Novella, Collection
Published: Lighting the Dark Side, 2008
Personal Rating: 3/5
(ss) Yearly Count: 12



Ivan's Comet is headed towards Earth causing daily chatter and concern regarding the possibility of its crash landing. The topic creates tension and hype regarding how much devastation it could cause. Trevor talks about it with Kelly-Anne, his girlfriend, and his buddies at work. (This is not the whole story, but more details would ruin it.)

The story itself was interesting, along with the characters, but the twist was confusing. I had to reread portions to figure out what was going on, and I didn't appreciate that. I think if there had been more distinction around the twist - just a clarifying sentence, it would have worked much better. Or if I had read it with more scrutiny, that may have worked too. Needless to say, I was annoyed that I had to go back; therefore, it receives a "just okay" rating.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Hi - I gave you a blog award over at Books and Movies:

    http://booksandmovies.today.com/2009/04/11/passing-on-the-bloggy-love/

    Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rereading for clarification isn't a good thing, I agree. The premise sounds interesting though. It's too bad it wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie ~ Thank you! I'm trying to get caught up on comments and posts, so hopefully I'll be by soon.

    Literary Feline ~ Thanks for understanding. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!