Thursday, April 23, 2009

OUT STEALING HORSES

Author: Per Petterson
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 52



Living in an isolated Norwegian cabin, 67-year old Trond meets a neighbor that happens to be a part of his past. The meeting triggers Trond's memories of his childhood.

The first half of this book was terrific. The second half didn't have as much steam, but the quiet suspense kept me curious. There were times, though, when I wasn't sure of the chronological pattern of his memories, so I would become briefly lost in time. Maybe I just couldn't keep up with the narrator - I don't know, but the segments of memory were all of interest.

The writing was not fanciful or forceful, but the setting and mood were very clear. I liked that I could sense the surroundings. However, a lot of inferring was needed when it came to some specific events or emotions, and other things were simply left unanswered. Even with the unfinished business, I am glad that I defied my skeptical thoughts prior to choosing this book, because overall, I am very pleased with the outcome.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to read this. I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ This was a wonderful surprise. I didn't expect to like it so much.

    Charley ~ I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this one didn't quite appeal to me as much. I kept waiting for something more to happen, and it just never did. I agree about the setting and the mood, and even the characters were appealing, the book just didn't come together for me.
    Glad you enjoyed it, I know lots of people that have raved about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I'm not sure if I want to read this or not, so I'll probably pass. Too many others waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been skeptical about picking this one up too... it just sounds so slow! Your review made me curious though so I might try it if it comes my way! Glad you liked it - isn't nice to be pleasantly surprised like that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raidergirl3 ~ I really was skeptical about it, so I think the saving grace was that I wasn't expecting anything. :) I'm not one for slow, character-driven novels, but something was drawing me to it. And, there was more action than I thought there'd be. I'm thankful that one of my skeptical attempts paid off. That doesn't happen too often. :)

    Framed ~ Ambivalence is usually a good indicator that maybe you should pass; however, like I said above it did pay off for me with this book. That little extra draw was imperative. It's much more fun to go into a book with a positive attitude. :)

    Joanna ~ It really isn't as slow as you might think. Going back and forth in time keeps it flowing. I listened to it, though, so that might be a key factor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review. I have this in audio just waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth F ~ It's my understanding that the written form is a bit difficult to read. I'm glad I listened to it because I might not have liked it otherwise. Listening was a pleasant experience. I hope you like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this a while ago and quite enjoyed it. I ended up giving it a 4/5 grade as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was one of those books I didn't think I was going to like and boy was I surprised. I loved it. I think it was all the attention to nature and how Trond was finding his place still in the world even at 67. I agree it was easy to lose sense of what happened but on the whole I didn't mind that. Glad it ended up being a good read for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marg ~ I have seen quite a range of ratings for this book. I'm glad I (we) experienced it positively. :)

    Iliana ~ It was a great surprise for me, too! And good surprises are always a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!