Sunday, May 24, 2009

THE WALKING PEOPLE

Author: Mary Beth Keane
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (better than good)
Yearly Count: 63



In the mid-50s, many of the families living on the West coast of Ireland already immigrated to surrounding countries and the United States of America. Johanna (18) is intrigued by the prospect of adventure, yet her younger sister, Greta (16) who isn't that adept at managing her life, has concerns about leaving the rest of the family at home. Eventually, Johanna meets a gypsy boy, Michael, and the three of them travel to the new world.

The Walking People is not focused on the walking people per se, but it does contain characters that have lifestyles that resemble the gypsies in one form or another. Its focus is about family and the challenges and joys that life can bring.

This is Mary Beth Keane's debut novel and it is well done. There were 5 sections to the book that indicated a change in time and concluded in 2007. I enjoyed the section that switched to an epistolary style. That was a nice addition. The plot, in general, was a bit slow for my taste, but I still liked reading about Greta's life. She had a simple personality, but she grew and changed over the decades.



Thank you, Keturah, from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for sending me this ARC. The Walking People was released on May 20, 2009.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I like the idea of the 5 sections and that one of the sections switches to an epistolary style. I enjoy that style of writing. Thanks for sharing this review with us Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be reading this soon. I'm glad to hear it's better than good. I'm anxious to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ A little slow, but yes - interesting. :)

    Bonnie ~ I liked the 5 sections, as well. Even though there was a jump in time in each one - they all flowed well.

    Dar ~ Galway is mentioned in this one and I thought of all of you that read that. I'm curious as to the comparison, if there even is one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!