Wednesday, May 06, 2009

THE WEIGHT OF HEAVEN

Author: Thrity Umrigar
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 56



With the devastating death of their 7-year-old boy, Frank accepts his boss's offer to run the company in India. Frank and his wife, Ellie, pack up their belongings, rent out their home in Ann Arbor, MI (Go Blue!) and fly off to discover a new land, a new life and new personal discoveries.

I had slight variations in my feelings as I travelled through this book. The beginning was engaging. The characters had real-life qualities that created a desire to follow their story to see how they would deal with their loss and the adjustment of living in a foreign country. The middle lost some of the spark and drive. There was a shift in time, so the content had a more settled-in feeling, and frankly, I was more interested in getting back to the current story. Then the ending - it was dramatic.

Like all people, Ellie and Frank deal with the death of their son in their own ways; however, there's a palpable, life-breathing ache inside Frank that can touch even the coldest soul.



Thank you, Kevin, from Harper Collins Publishers for sending me this ARC.

13 comments:

  1. I've never read any of her work but really want to give it a try since I've heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ This was my first exposure to Umrigar. She's a very good storyteller - realistic and full of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, I've seen this book mentioned on several blogs. It's on my TBR list. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few of the authors books and this one waiting in my TBR pile. I'm glad to see that you gave it a high rating. You're review was wonderful and it's made me want to pick it up and read it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review Joy. I have this one on my shelf. I hope to read it soon. Glad it was a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Review. I've been considering this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary ~ Have you read any books by her?

    Bonnie ~ You are too kind, Bonnie. I have to admit, though - a book set in Michigan always has the edge. :) Do you experience that - a book set in your home state starts out already having one up on other books?

    Dar ~ Those TBR Shelves - they are great, but sometimes they can be overwhelming! I have too many I want to read at one time!

    Beth F ~ It's focus is on Frank, which I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:34 PM

    I just finished Salty Like Blood about a missing 7 year old girl, so I might have to wait to read this one, but it does sound good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacybuckeye ~ I'm interested in reading your review, if and/or when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a heartbreaking story, but one in which I could probably relate to. However, the thought of moving anywhere (let alone out of the country) after such a loss seems a bit rash. I know we couldn't do that. We could barely move out of our bed.

    Thanks for the review. I'm intrigued now. I've never read anything by Umrigar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Les ~ It's really more about filling the void, than the void itself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only recently become aware of this author but I hope to be able to read some books by Umrigar at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maw Books ~ I think you'd like her Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!