Wednesday, July 22, 2009

FEAR THE WORST

Author: Linwood Barclay
Genre: Thriller, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 89



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and read this ARC, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.

From the ARC cover:

One evening your child doesn't come home for dinner, and just like that the world you thought you knew becomes a strange and terrifying place.

Tim Blake thought he knew his teenage daughter as well as he could know anyone. But when Sydney vanishes into thin air, all she leaves behind are questions. At the hotel where she was supposedly working, no one has ever heard of her. Even her closest friends can't tell Tim what Sydney was really doing in the weeks before her disappearance. Now, as the days pass without a word, Tim uncovers secrets about a daughter he didn't know and a dark world of corruption, exploitation, and murder right around the corner from his once seemingly safe life.

Linwood Barclay is becoming an author that I can count on for a good read. This is only the second book that I have read by him, but I see great potential. Both books (No Time for Goodbye as the other) had good mysteries and continually kept me interested. Linwood Barclay's style reminds me a lot of James Patterson.

In Fear the Worst, I didn't find the action to be heart-pounding or it to have edge-of-your-seat type scenes, but there was plenty of action and twists to keep the book moving along at a fairly fast pace. There was a scene or two that I thought was pushing it a bit, but overall I always looked forward to picking the book up again, because I thoroughly enjoyed being on the hunt with Tim.

In general, I liked the characters - they all served a purpose, but what I liked most was how the expressive words and interactions clearly defined the connection or lack thereof between them. It was nice to not have a relationship explained to the nth degree. Ultimately - another good book for Barclay!



My thanks go to The Random House Publishing Group for sending me this ARC. Fear the Worst will be published on August 11, 2009.

Also received by Library Thing's Early Reviewers program and will be going to a good home.

13 comments:

  1. I have this one. I can't wait to see what happens to his daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up No Time for Goodbye at the used book store recently. I read Too Close to Home and found it really suspenseful, a great read. A reliable writer it would seem, I should definitely read Fear the Worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed several of Barclay's books. Thanks for the great review: on my list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about this author. Haven't picked up any of the books yet, but he's definitely on my list to consider soon. This makes 3 different books of his that I've seen good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Linwood Barclay. I've read all his books and am anxiously awaiting for my library to get it in! Glad to see you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole ~ I hope you enjoy it at least as much as I did! :)

    Raidergirl3 ~ Yes, you should. *grin*

    Diane ~ I didn't discover him until the end of last year, I believe. I'm thankful that he writes standalones.

    Suzi ~ I've enjoyed the two I read. They are not necessarily stellar, but very good and the author seems to be reliable. He could become one of those "comfort reads."

    Kristie ~ Oh yes, I did. You've read them all, huh? Any favorites from his earlier years? Have you seen any growth in his writing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good! I've got this one waiting in the pile too. Loved his last one, so am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like I better get my hands on one of Barclay's books. You know how I love thrillers and mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope to read this one soon. I'll come back to your review then. It's enough now to know you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read some of Barclay's work after that review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:33 PM

    I loved No Time for Goodbye too, but haven't read anything else by him. Not sure why, but I need to remedy that! Great review@

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:07 AM

    sounds good...but i recently read a 'missing child' book and didn't sleep for a few nights--and i don't even have kids! i might have to hold off on this one for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicola ~ I haven't found that I "love" his work, but I have thought that they have been very good reads. I definitely look forward to more.

    Booklogged ~ I think you'd like him, Booklogged. They are not taxing or very deep, but enjoyable and engaging.

    Dar ~ Yep, I did. Oh - you could have read it. I don't write much about anything. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ I think you'd like his work, too. Fast and good reads.

    Stacybuckeye ~ I know why! There are sooooo many books available that we can't get to them all. I'm so glad that we have so many choices, but I just wish there was more time to read them.

    Booklineandsinker ~ This is not a heart-wrenching, deeply emotional type book. Yes, a child is missing and that is scary beyond belief, but it's more about figuring out her last steps and getting clues as to where she may be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!