Wednesday, July 29, 2009

THE GOD OF WAR

Author: Marisa Silver
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Yearly Count: 91



In the late 70's, 12-year-old Ares Ramirez is growing up with his mother and 6-year-old disabled brother (undiagnosed autism) in a poor community in California. As he struggles with his past memories and what the future may hold, Ares finds himself in the throws of adolescence which causes him to act out in a variety of ways in the attempt to handle the internal turmoil.

This was a good coming-of-age story. I enjoyed meeting the characters and found that the story being narrated by Ares added an interesting perspective. There wasn't any great connections for me, but a good story nonetheless.


*Recommended By: Diane from Bibliophile By the Sea


10 comments:

  1. Yearly count: 91! Holy smokes that's a lot. Can you teach me how to read faster? Maybe I just need to spend less time on the computer and more time reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:36 AM

    I agree with booklogged! 91 is an impressive number. Ths book sounds pretty good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coming-of-age stories...I will be checking this one out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you browse Google Reader for blogs to follow? I am new to it and I'm not sure how to use it.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Booklogged ~ Unfortunately, I don't read all that fast, but if you find a solution or trick to that - please let me know. :) My personal solution to getting more books "read" is to listen to them. :)

    Stacybuckeye ~ It was. I think I like it a little more today. LOL Isn't that odd?

    Missy ~ I think you'll like this one, Missy.

    As for Google Reader - yes, you can browse! You can also search and look at recommendations. In the left hand column under Add a subscription, there is a link for Browse for stuff. It'll take you to another screen that has the tabs for Browse, Search and Recommendations. Have fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I brought home a galley of this book earlier in the week. It's not one I'm rushing to read, but I hope to get around to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL--I wouldn't have noticed the 91 if the other ladies hadn't pointed it out. That's awesome, Joy!

    I need connection with the characters or at least the story in order for the book to have "punch"--sorry you didn't have that with this one. Does sound good regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also read this book in July. I really loved it. Thanks for the review. You had a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missy ~ You're welcome.

    Charley ~ I think you'll like it, Charley.

    Trish ~ I tend to like twists, turns and suspense much more, so general fiction has a lot of work to do for me to love it.

    Diane ~ OH!!! Thank you for commenting. I couldn't remember where the recommendation came from. I've added you on to the post. :) Like I said to Trish above, I liked it - it was good, but I need more spunk.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!