Sunday, July 12, 2009

THE MURDER OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Author: Rick Geary
Genre: YA NF Graphic Novel, Series
Published: 2005
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Yearly Count: 84



This graphic novel covers the timeframe from March 4 - May 4, 1865 of Abraham Lincoln's life and death.

Another winner by Rick Geary! I love this series of Victorian Murders. Geary does a fabulous job in researching, depicting and telling the facts of particular murders. The story of Abraham Lincoln's murder was no different. The maps of the cities and homes are so helpful in visualizing the actual places, and the drawings of the people give so much character to the individuals that they become very realistic. The full story has been sifted through and the major remaining events and people have been highlighted. Geary does an excellent job with this genre, and I'm looking forward to more.

6 comments:

  1. every time you mention this series I mean to go out and buy a few of these books... maybe I should finally do that, off to amazon I go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna ~ Every time I read one, I think the same thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a graphic novel before.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:04 AM

    I have been thinking about these for Sam ~ however on amazon it states the age up to 12 . Would you consider it a bit young for a fourteen year old or do you think she will enjoy it? She is an avid anime/graphic novel fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle ~ I saw it on Amazon for Grade 7 & up and that would be accurate in my opinion. I LOVE Geary's series and would not consider them "young" at all. Being that I listened to Manhunt (Swanson), I was able to compare the facts to Geary's rendition. It was spot on! And, not only that, he does a fabulous job with picking out what's important and what makes the story flow. Of course, there's the graphic part, which is great, too! The graphics are not comic-like, though. They are very realistic - giving it a true feeling. Have you read one, yet? Before you purchase any, maybe you can read/see one at the library or a book store. I highly recommend them. He also writes graphic classics. I definitely want to get to those, too. Please let me know what you decide - I'm curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane ~ My apologies!!! I didn't see you there! I just now found you in my e-mail.

    I was introduced to graphic novels over a year ago now and I love them! Well, I thoroughly enjoyed almost all the graphic novels I have read. I think there was one I didn't like. Anyway, they are not as childish as one might think, especially this series. It's a good one - providing you like to read about famous murders. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!