Tuesday, August 25, 2009

THE CASTAWAYS

Author: Elin Hilderbrand
Genre: Chick Lit, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 3/5 (just okay)
Yearly Count: 101



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and read this book, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.

From the front cover:

On the tiny island of Nantucket, everybody's business is everyone's business. When the charming, talented music teacher Greg MacAvoy shares a rainy Sunday night with the beautiful high school senior April Peck, rumors swarm the island like tourists on Memorial Day. The stories strain Greg's marriage, and his wife, Tess, is torn between her love for her husband and a secret of her own. With their anniversary approaching, the MacAvoys head out on their sailboat to celebrate, hoping the roughest waters are behind them.

But instead comes heartbreaking news: Greg and Tess have mysteriously drowned, leaving behind two small children. Their closest friends - the Kapenashes, Drakes, and Wheelers - are devastated. For as long as anyone can remember, the four couples have vacationed and celebrated together confided in and depended on one another. But tragedy brings long-simmering conflicts and emotions to the surface. The Six Friends, upended by grief and denial, set out to answer the question: What happened to Greg and Tess MacAvoy?

A page-turning story of passion and suspense, The Castaways is a masterful exploration of the boundaries of friendship and forgiveness, filled with the perfect details of summer life that have made Elin Hilderbrand's novels bestsellers nationwide.

The mystery component gave this book its backbone, otherwise it was pure soap opera. There were 8 characters (4 couples), and their stories were told in the present, as well as in the past, to help reveal what was going on in the lives of the couple that died. At first, it was difficult to keep everybody straight, but their personalities ended up being easily distinguishable. (I suggest taking notes, though.) Unfortunately, I never really connected with any of the 8, but didn't dislike any of them either.

The Castaways is truly a drama-filled novel. It has all the makings for a solid soap opera, so if that's what you like - this is perfect! I was hoping for something more, but still thought it was okay. The mystery is what kept me engaged. In the long run, I liked Elin Hilderbrand's writing style and am curious about her other books.






Thank you Miriam, from Hachette Book Group, for sending me a copy of the book, and Anna from Hachette Audio, for providing me with the audiobook.

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book and I agree with you that the mystery aspect of the story is the best part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ With all the entwined character plots, it really is a good soap. Anybody that enjoys them should love this book. I just happened to be more of a mystery lover than chick lit, so the mystery kept me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear there's a mystery aspect. I won the audio recently and would have hated listening to nothing but a dramatic soap opera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really got into this one. I love the drama, mystery and the exploration of the way that the different characters handled their grief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't exactly sound like my type of book. But, hey, congrats on passing your 100th book read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:04 PM

    I have this one on my shelf and now I know to read it when I'm in the mood for some soap operaish drama :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking notes? Soap Opera? Hmmm--maybe not for me. I do have a Hilderbrand book on the shelf (A Summer Affair), but I'm not in a big hurry to read it. On a happier note--love the new signature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Booklogged ~ I'm curious as to what you will think about it.

    Nicole ~ I can see how this one could be enticing to others. Glad to know that it was a winner for you. :)

    Nicola ~ Thank you!

    Stacybuckeye ~ Exactly! I hope it hits the spot when you get to it.

    Trish ~ Ummm, probably not for you, but I could be wrong. I don't think you'd hate it. Thank you for the compliment on my signature. It matches my header. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The more I read about this book, the less I want to try it. I enjoyed The Love Season, but this one doesn't appeal at all to me. Good review, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:22 AM

    I havent read this yet but have heard good things. I love reading the reviews on it and seeing what people are thinking of this read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this out from the library right now and will probably be reading it next week. Even before reading it I pretty much expect that it's one that I'll end up thinking is just OK. Now after seeing your review I think I might be right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les ~ I did enjoy her writing, so maybe it is just the plot of this story.

    BookJourney ~ I don't think I've read anything really negative. It hinges a lot on whether you like chick-lit/soap operas or not.

    Suzi ~ I think you are right, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll probably finish it today and I was right.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!